How do you approch sampling off pc versus mpc?

johnthedon

hello guys, i know there is no specific way to sample music in no way shape or form. however, after a few months of making sample beats. I am strictly sample base so i want to master this domain first. the problem is, i don't know if i'm approaching my beats the right way. right now i sample 8 measures aka 8 bars then i cut them equally into 16 parts as you would a mpc if i'm correct. i also attain the bpm of the song before anything and for some reason nothing is coming out like i want it, i might need to grab a keyboard? how do professionals usually sample? 4,6 or 8 bars. am i'm i doing this right or nah?

thanks

they sample like they want (possibly 95% beatmakers - with 4/8 bars, other with 6/7/9 blabla) i mean, that doesnt matter, real thing to learn is to have YOUR OWN STYLE...you can chop it like 3 or 9 parts...and you can play only 2 of them and if you have that THING you will make it to sound really good...if we say to you that they use 4 bars, does it mean that you will be automatic as good as them? no...do your thing, experiment and experiment with samples/tones/melodies, and finnaly find your style/characteristic...

my tip is also, if you are new with making beats (sampling, becouse im also like you, i love sampling without adding any instruments), dont loose big time NOW on your production becouse its 20% of the beat...if your beat isnt good at musicaly point, perfect production of that is POINTLESSS..i hope you understand :)

Keep trying new methods until you find what works for you. There are so many ways to approach making music that you shouldnt limit yourself to a "correct" way. Just make sure the end result sounds good!

hello guys, i know there is no specific way to sample music in no way shape or form. however, after a few months of making sample beats. I am strictly sample base so i want to master this domain first. the problem is, i don't know if i'm approaching my beats the right way. right now i sample 8 measures aka 8 bars then i cut them equally into 16 parts as you would a mpc if i'm correct. i also attain the bpm of the song before anything and for some reason nothing is coming out like i want it, i might need to grab a keyboard? how do professionals usually sample? 4,6 or 8 bars. am i'm i doing this right or nah?

thanks

i start in a similar vein to you.
But my 16 chops are very rarely equal in length.
I use Maschine and never had an MPC so not really sure (despite descriptions of "that MPC workflow" that rarely if ever concisely describe it) on workflow differences.
i usually start with a 4/8 bar loop on pad 1 in group A that I truncate as tightly as I can (so that if it loops it actually loops).
Then I go into the slice function, chop it up (again... Rarely equally... and have it spread out across the 16 pads in Group A. (I might sometimes only spread across the first 8 pads, but that's irrelevant.)

i might also also take a second sample. 1st pad of group B - and I might just take 1 bar (truncated to loop if need be)
then I might take a third 1-bar sample from a totally different record and put it on pad 2 but also in group B...

Because of how Maschine works (no global choke) this might not be (it might tho) working for me...
In this instance I'll go back to the chops on group-A and ask myself if I'm 'really' gonna use all 16 of them... And I rarely do... I'll delete any chops I'm definitely not gonna use and replace them withe the 2 samples from Group-B... Now they can be assigned to the same choke as the first sample's chops...

i guess im just saying "mess about" see what and how your particular setup will let you work. Find workarounds.

Keep it up bruv!

i start in a similar vein to you.
But my 16 chops are very rarely equal in length.
I use Maschine and never had an MPC so not really sure (despite descriptions of "that MPC workflow" that rarely if ever concisely describe it) on workflow differences.

This. Some people just feel like chopping evenly to 16 parts as MPC's usually automatically spread the chops to even lenghts. And some (not sure if all) MPC's are limited to 16 chops (or zones) max at one time. This function is good for quick chopping on beat with an 8 bar loop given that the tempo doesn't change. I use zones in my 2000XL when chopping samples, but very rarely leave the zone parameters as is (or even have a sample that could be automatically chopped) and usually adjust them and chop to as many bits as I feel like chopping.

And just a little reminder: there is no right way, only different ways.

Last edited:
It's all about the vibe of what your doing, if it sounds good, then keep doing it! For me it depends on the sample, I use FL studio so I normally drop my chops into the FPC so I can play them using my nanoPAD2, if the sample is a bit more freeform instrumental (without drums/percussions) then I won't chop equally - i'll just chop where the note/phrase I want is. If the sample has a bit more of a definite rhythm, or has even got a drum break or some percussion behind it, then I'll normally just slice into 8ths/16ths pretty equally to try and keep the groove a little bit. But again, do what sounds good man.

Back