Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do u sample

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by drakul View Post
    Not sure why people frown on looping so much. Pretty much most hip hop from the 80s & 90's are loop based tracks... if its dope, and you layer your own sounds on top of it, more power to ya! I don't loop lol... BUT if i find a bangin loop, id use it in a second!
    Man, I'm trying to get more into looping myself. I got my first MPC over 15 years ago and learned how to use it without the manual. So I've become accustomed to recording everything in bits. So now I want to get into looping and layering. Been listening to a lot of Prince Paul and Bomb Squad lately and it's amazing what they did with layers. The same can be said for Q-Tip and Shadow.

You're absolutely right though... if it's dope it's dope. I guess the stigma attached to using loops makes some cats apprehensive. They probably don't wanna feel like all they did was add drums.
    You On The Right Train But The Wrong Track B*tch!

Thanks
    A lot of cats skip learning how to edit loops properly and so they often don't understand that there is a relationship between tempo and the length of a measure when time-stretching etc and they often can't determine the tempo of a track properly either so if you throw them some remix work they need to be told what the correct tempo is.......seriously if you can't cut a loop that will play autonomously (without sequencing) from a single key press without drifting off tempo you are missing out.....in other words a producer should know how to edit audio properly.

Thanks
    for finding samples.. sometimes i'll pick up random vinyl/tapes/cds from a local store or eBay. other times i scout around youtube. if i really cant find anything i'll hop on whosampleddotcom and find out which artists my fav producers sample. sometimes i'll find the original sample for a beat i like and there'll be another sick sample-able section on the same exact track that the producer didn't use.

once i got some sample material, i usually listen to each track in full, taking note of any parts i want to sample, then i'll go back and grab those and chop them up on the kick and snare. i'll mess around on the drumpad until i get something. if nothing i come up with is as dope as the original loop, fuck it, i'm just using the original loop.

Thanks
    A little something from samples.

Thanks
    Sometimes I loop a section of a sample and speed it up or slow it down then filter out the bass using EQ. I normally add some reverb to the sample to push it back in the mix and to create an ambient vibe. Then I'dd add my drums, bass, synths and other sound on top. Other times I chop up the sample into smaller sections, re-arrange it and then create a new melody of my own. If it's really choppy and I don't want that vibe I may add some delay to it so that the sample flows more naturally...the delay fills in the gaps.

Another thing I do is duplicate the sample and place it on different mixer tracks and pan them left and right and then I add unique effects to each track. So I may for instance add a flanger on one track and then add a gate on the other to create a pumping effect. Then I route those 2 tracks to another track and do some more EQ on the final sound. There are many other techniques I use...you just gotta be creative.

Thanks
    I usually look around on YouTube too for samples these days. I also have the Shazam app on my phone so when I hear a dope song I'd like to sample I just open the app, let it listen to the song and get the song info from there, it has helped me quite a bit.
    I also mix the band at church sometimes and we record almost everything so there's a wealth of samples to use from there. The best stuff always comes up during rehearsal when people are playing random stuff.
    That approach is cool coz there's no sample clearance stuff to be bothered with in the case that your track is placed or released commercially.

Thanks
    Chops all day but i stop chopping sections off songs so i have a load of sounds to pick from

Thanks
    There are two major approaches I take. Ill just give you guys a summary, can't give away secrets.
    At first when I find a song Ill usually make around 15-20 chops of 1 to 2 bar loops thats standard for me..

#!: Using this approach Ill listen to the loops Ive just chopped. Ill find one usually the bassline and ill replay it. Once I have it replayed (in midi) Ill rearrange a few notes to create a different bassline but in the same key as the sample. Then Im able to cycle through the bass sounds in whichever VST I'm using. Layering different bass sounds to create my own sound.

Once thats the done thats the meat of the track (Your groove). Then I audition my other chops see what I can use and delete whatever is not needed any more. Next I start to work on my drums. mixing and tweaking sounds along the way. Depending on the track ill add in some chords or whatever else is needed to make it complete.

#2. This approach I cycle through the (15-20) 1 to 2 bar chops I have find one or two to work with. I then chop those up in half notes. Then I replay the chops creating a totally new beat from my chops.
    Once I have a 4 bar loop I find out what key its in. OR. Ill record the 4 bar loop then hit it with a low pass filter so I can hear only the bass. Then I replay the bass on one of my VST's from my 4 bar chopped loop.
    Once thats done take the lo pass filter off and put a high pass filter on your 4 bar loop. That way your sample doesn't clash with your new bassline. Boom now all thats need is add your drums and all of the extras...
    Instagram: Mr_Relevant
    FOLLOW ME AND LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH ME!

Thanks
    Listen to the whole record dont just skim alot of jems are at the end of records. I tend to chop it into little pieces so I can manipulate it how I want it to sound
    Get dope drum kits, presetbanks and tutorials at http://www.soundnarcotics.com

Thread Information