• a few kits are good for me

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • unlimited supply of drums are better

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

blood of a sampler

i dont know iffs only me or what but who knows when too many drums is enough seriously ..

how many drums are too much ?

cause its cool to know ur go to drums but having a 1000 of them is an overwhelming process when comes down creativly it infringes upon creativity .

Depends on your experience level.

If you have been in the game for decades then more is better because you have an idea of the sounds you seek and can quickly scan a database and reject many as you go.

If you are someone who as been in the game for a few minutes, you might want to limit yourself to a few kits and a collection of percussion.

it definitely depends on how seasoned your ears are. after a while your drums (assuming you have like 3 kits or something) will get stale.

Last edited:
If you can make them all mesh together then by all means, use as many drums as you desire. I try to keep it simple though with kicks, snares, hi-hats, crashes, rolls, etc. And don't stick with the same pattern throughout, switch up the pattern every now and then for varity.

Wassup, Unfortunately I'm up the ying yang with drum breaks, and drum samples. Most are too similar. But Its in the layering, and FX/EQ/Compression processing that gives it its own sound. So Id use one mean break and that's sufficient for what Im going for. That's what Id suggest bro.

4 me it's like with money- you can never have too much, hah.. BUT..there is one BUT... they come in handy only when u chop them from records/brakes yourself. that way you will build a sound bank according to your needs and it will also be more easy to organize/handle.

The more the merrier I suppose. If I only had a 1000 drums... Layering, EQ-ing, compressing all day. That you have alot of drums doesn't mean you have to use 100 drums at a time, use whatever you feel like to use.

EDIT: Whoops, kinda late reply.. It's still morning.

Last edited:
Me i been in the game a second (3years) i have a very vivid selection of kits about 45 drum kits really only b/c i like diversity. In this arena there is never enough just how well you can use what you have.

Rather than having to have infinite samples and virtual space taken up by every possible nuance of rhythm or drum sounds its more exciting to see any sound or instrument as having rhythm potential.

What I like to do once I find a bunch of drums, is seperate the ones I like, and use those for now, then ill go back months or so later and listen to some more, and see if there's anymore I like. You can never have enough drums, but you don't want a mess of percussion all over your tracks... Unless you want a mess of percussion on your tracks. Personally I like for my melodies to be heard more, but drums have their places too.

When your hard drive is full and then some. No but on a serious note, u could go on with rly just a few simple kits, layering is your friend.

Maschine Drum kit and filthy drums has all I need really. But you can never have too many drums imo, just be sure to know each one of them carefully, that way you'll know where to get that Bass tail when you layer a kick, or that snap from a snare, etc.!

Back