How do u collab wit another producer?

C

CheefDiCheeba

the 1 time i did collab wit another producer he jus gave me a melody and i threw everything else on it. there wasn't much collaboration in that process. How yall work wit other producers? Do yall sit around and let some records play til yall find that spark and then everyone puts their input on it? who lays the drum and the bass? who filters? or is it on some hiring a musician type **** where u get someone to play an idea out for u? I know all that could apply but whats the basic process?

Any of those things you just suggested could be involved in a collabo. It just depends on the producers and the song. THere is no set rule in collaborating. Just do what feels right. One

HustleMentality said:
Any of those things you just suggested could be involved in a collabo. It just depends on the producers and the song. THere is no set rule in collaborating. Just do what feels right. One

I agree, just go with the flow and feel whats right. Or you can bring up each others strong points and work from there. for example....

producer 1's strong side is his drums and bass while producer 2's strong side is choppin up samples and making switch-ups in the beat.

Combine those and youll do alright....

I only do the collab thing wit one producer. And thats because he taught me most of the stuff that i know about producing. Since we don't sample we usually start with live instruments and go from there when we find something that we like. Then we will just use eachother strong points to get the beat finished.

If the both of you vibe well together then it wont matter which steps you take. Just go with the flow.

me and my boy can only collab like once every 2 months cuz his parents always got him doin somethin so its a long process. it go somethin like this :

we go diggin and pick up like 15-20 records

head back to my crib and start listenin

browse everything....if we hear somethin we wanna mess with we set that record to the side

then when we done we take all the records that were set to the side and find the songs we want to sample

usually we get my grandmama to go buy some wendys chicken nuggets and fries at this time

then we get to work

i will do the choppin and arrangin of the sample cuz thats what i do

then he come and lay the drums and bass and some pianos or strings or whatever

then i come back behind him and edit the drums and put the mix on it and then we move on to the next beat

and after all this we usually get like 6 or 7 beats that day we collab

and i try to already have about 5 samples ready when he come over so if we dont find alot of stuff on the records we buy

Last edited:
cappachino said:

usually we get my grandmama to go buy some wendys chicken nuggets and fries at this time

then we get to work

lol !!

I started collaborating with another guy about three years ago...and we actually merged our studios into one...i gotta admit it was tough at first and took a while to really start working...but after a while we both knew our place and left our ego's at the door. I think you gotta work to your strengths....like with us...he's better at beats and stuff, i'm better at chords and arranging...we learned to communicate with each other and we've made an album which we are both very proud of...

my boy tryna learn how to sample. ive been teachin him what i know so far, which isn't nothing compared to what years of experience would bring u....but its enough to get started. at this point im the one doing the beats, and we both writin to them. but 2 heads are better than 1...when he picks up samplin its gonna be even better for the music.

When me and my friend do a beat, there's no set structure. It's just like, "Beat session" and we go to either his house or mine... Then what happens next depends on the scenario. Sometimes one of us will be at the computer and the other one will be doing something as minimal as playing Halo 2 online and just giving input on what they hear, or both of us might be sitting at the comp trying to take the beat in their direction.

Usually we end up doing equal effort. Just decide on what you wanna do and go for it. If you wanna do a beat like How We Do, set the tempo and go, if you wanna do a beat like Daylight, set the tempo and go.

Back