How do producers create beats to match their samples?

chopping on the beat is technique commonly used what i mean is say you have simple 4 bar sample you then chop it into 16ths and can play it back in a new time

another common way is too use time stretching which is a way of taking someone for example in 60bpm and stretch it out to 88 bpm it usually distorts the sample but it works and is common practice with mpcs

but personal if im choppin a sample i usually dont get the timing 100% intentionally because if you do this it usually kills the feel the groove the movement of the original material

hope this helps

Could you be more specific? Are you talking about creating a groove? And by samples, do you mean transposed samples across a keyboard or one-shot sci-fi sounds, or what? If you want to be cutting-edge creating beats, Native Instruments Maschine is the ultimate... I have yet to get my hands on it, but it is revolutionizing the way beats are created, either by pre-programming, on-the-fly performance, and/or recording.

Could you be more specific? Are you talking about creating a groove? And by samples, do you mean transposed samples across a keyboard or one-shot sci-fi sounds, or what? If you want to be cutting-edge creating beats, Native Instruments Maschine is the ultimate... I have yet to get my hands on it, but it is revolutionizing the way beats are created, either by pre-programming, on-the-fly performance, and/or recording.
Okay I will be more specific. When a producers takes out a certain part of a song and speeds it up or chop it up to create a new song it called a sample right?My question was basically How does a producer get his Drum Patterns to sync to a beat? Example 9th wonder.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

chopping on the beat is technique commonly used what i mean is say you have simple 4 bar sample you then chop it into 16ths and can play it back in a new time

another common way is too use time stretching which is a way of taking someone for example in 60bpm and stretch it out to 88 bpm it usually distorts the sample but it works and is common practice with mpcs

but personal if im choppin a sample i usually dont get the timing 100% intentionally because if you do this it usually kills the feel the groove the movement of the original material

hope this helps
It has help a bit. Thanks,

Last edited:
Are you talking about isolating another song's beats, extracting them, and putting them in your song? Do you perform on stage? Because I've never heard of anyone doing that except during a performance when they are beat-matching... certainly not doing it to record unless you are taking clips of things other than beats... like lyrics, or a general clip that you want to showcase and use only once or twice in your song. Or are you talking about splitting the beat up into their solitary drum sounds and putting it to your own tempo? Then chop it up, quantize it, and scale it to the tempo in your sequencer. Sample can mean a lot of things man.

typically samples taken from songs are sliced into chops which are synced to a set bpm, once the chops are laid out they can be replayed back in any order and then the drums are added on top. it can be done either by clickin notes in or using a midi controller like an MPD. some beatmakers like to create everything from scratch instead of using samples.
check out memorecks, morfiybeats, exorus beatz or equalibrium on youtube for ideas on how it works

Last edited:
typically samples taken from songs are sliced into chops which are synced to a set bpm, once the chops are laid out they can be replayed back in any order and then the drums are added on top. it can be done either by clickin notes in or using a midi controller like an MPD. some beatmakers like to create everything from scratch instead of using samples.
check out memorecks, morfiybeats, exorus beatz or equalibrium on youtube for ideas on how it works
So they just create a random drum beat on top of a chop and match the bpm? ....Sorry I'm new to this whole beat making thing I'm using Fl studios I can create a nice looping sample but i just can't get my drums and kicks to sound good with the sample.

I think what OP is askin' is how producers construct their drum patterns to match their samples, so as to get a good groove going and an overall nice song. Well, it depends, there's a lot of ways and also it pertains to one's style as a beatmaker. It's also related to how you chop the sample up and to what's your vision for the beat. Just try different things. Sometimes you can match up your drums to the drums of the loop, other times you may choose to construct a different pattern. Sometimes you can make a simple 4/4 beat and it will sound great with the right drums and fitting the right sample. You can also use breaks, lay new drums over these breaks, etc... just experiment with it and try to figure out what is missing in your drums. Is it the drums themselves (the drum samples)? Is it the pattern that is not working with the loop? Could it do with more/less percussion? Is it missing something, is it too "busy"? It all comes down to your preference. I also have a hard time from time to time with certain samples wich I can't for the life of me put a decent groove on top. That's why most of the time I start making a beat by dropping some drum pattern first. One thing I like to do when uninspired is to go on youtube and recreate drum patterns from my favourite beats, adding my own twist.

I think what OP is askin' is how producers construct their drum patterns to match their samples, so as to get a good groove going and an overall nice song. Well, it depends, there's a lot of ways and also it pertains to one's style as a beatmaker. It's also related to how you chop the sample up and to what's your vision for the beat. Just try different things. Sometimes you can match up your drums to the drums of the loop, other times you may choose to construct a different pattern. Sometimes you can make a simple 4/4 beat and it will sound great with the right drums and fitting the right sample. You can also use breaks, lay new drums over these breaks, etc... just experiment with it and try to figure out what is missing in your drums. Is it the drums themselves (the drum samples)? Is it the pattern that is not working with the loop? Could it do with more/less percussion? Is it missing something, is it too "busy"? It all comes down to your preference. I also have a hard time from time to time with certain samples wich I can't for the life of me put a decent groove on top. That's why most of the time I start making a beat by dropping some drum pattern first. One thing I like to do when uninspired is to go on youtube and recreate drum patterns from my favourite beats, adding my own twist.
That's exactly what I'm saying. But this is what I mean when I say my drums doesn't fit the sample. A beat I made

Well, I see where you coming from, SawCee, but the guy is just starting (from what I gather), that's what these forums are for after all.

Joker, I ain't gonna lie, that beat is wack, but it's ok, we've all been there in the beginning - hell, sometimes I'm still there myself. Listen, duke, you're lacking some basics when it comes to chopping and drum layering, there's no rythm whatsoever in your beat. Your chops are sloppy, I'm not even sure if there's a pattern to them. You better hit youtube and watch some basic FL tutorials. One thing you might wanna try before chopping a sample to pieces is just finding some loops or chopping a big continuous loop that you can easily repeat and layer some drums on top. You might wanna know the BPM of the sample you're using so that you can adjust accordingly and - if needed- pitch the loops up or down so that they fit in 80-100 BPM, wich is (give or take) the standard for most rap music. Back when I started making beats I didn't have youtube and online tutorials and still figured out how to make a semi-decent beat, so you should have no problem at all. Just watch a lot of stuff and practise a lot and you'll eventually get it.

Ok, I think based on what you've provided I know your question. I've never been the technical term type (don't need to know to make good music), so someone more versed in the actual terms can clean up what I say. To get your very basic hip hop beat you put your snares on your 5th and 13th counts. A kick should usually always come on the first count of a bar of the sample. That's how the beat "drops". Snares can go every other count in your sequencer. Kicks anywhere between the snares at your discretion. Like I said though, that's just a very basic beat and it will be what you're looking to do.

Edit: that is only to make your drums sound like coherent hip hop. Back in the day I just would try drum patterns by themselves to see what sounded like actual hip hop. Later on you kind of know what sounds good for a sample you've chopped. But yea like was mentioned about the sample chops, just practice with different drum patterns. Snares on your 5th and 13th counts, like I said, are a GOOD way to start tho

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

LessonOne.mp3

^^ Very quick 2 minute chop job of what you tried to do. Try to get it how I did it and that should help you out a lot. BPM of the beat was 87 so try and get the pitch to fit with that. We'll see how you progress young grasshopper.

Last edited:
Don't waste your breath come at the king... this guy is doing what my 13-year-old sisters do on Nintendo Wii.
I wasn't trying to come off as an "Wise Ass". So I apologize if that how i came off to you. To be honest I'm not even at the level were I can be a "wise ass" because I know very little compared to you all when it comes to beat making I was just trying to make my question as clear as I could.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Haha I know that beat was pretty cheesey. But I try to watch a minimum of 3 tutorials a day that is how I found out how to loop a sample and use the Fpc a bit. So I think basically what it comes down to now is using the stuff I've learn in tutorials and applying it and practicing it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Ok, I think based on what you've provided I know your question. I've never been the technical term type (don't need to know to make good music), so someone more versed in the actual terms can clean up what I say. To get your very basic hip hop beat you put your snares on your 5th and 13th counts. A kick should usually always come on the first count of a bar of the sample. That's how the beat "drops". Snares can go every other count in your sequencer. Kicks anywhere between the snares at your discretion. Like I said though, that's just a very basic beat and it will be what you're looking to do.

Edit: that is only to make your drums sound like coherent hip hop. Back in the day I just would try drum patterns by themselves to see what sounded like actual hip hop. Later on you kind of know what sounds good for a sample you've chopped. But yea like was mentioned about the sample chops, just practice with different drum patterns. Snares on your 5th and 13th counts, like I said, are a GOOD way to start tho

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

LessonOne.mp3

^^ Very quick 2 minute chop job of what you tried to do. Try to get it how I did it and that should help you out a lot. BPM of the beat was 87 so try and get the pitch to fit with that. We'll see how you progress young grasshopper.

Soul Samurai this has been the most useful information I've received. And that's is exactly how I wanted my beat to come out. How long did it take you guys to become good at creating beats.?

Oh I meant to say the *hi hats* usually can come every other count but you can generally lay them in a lot of patterns and still get a good result as long as the kicks and snares are laid in the right way. Also, after you can make that beat I did, I'd suggest messing with swing a bit as well. Glad I could help. A lot of people won't admit it but most of us were like you when trying to figure out how to make a beat for the first time. Egos has since gotten pretty big it seems. lol

A lot of people won't admit it but most of us were like you when trying to figure out how to make a beat for the first time. Egos has since gotten pretty big it seems. lol

True that.

Well, I'm not sure I'm that good at creating beats, I'm not much of a producer, however I have reached a level wich I consider okeyish, I guess. It takes time, man, I've been fiddling around with FL and the MPC for years, altough I went some of those years doing virtually zero beats - a time came when I simply lost my mojo. Lately I've been back into it and trying to step my game up and had some interesting results, being however still very far from where I would like to be, ideally. Point is: just keep workin' on it, before you know it you'll be laying down a couple of bangers. Just don't expect it to come magically or within a couple of days. Learn, study, experiment and do it all over again until you can make something that you're really proud of. And don't be afraid of trying new things, that's key to making your beats unique. Also, if you don't have them yet, try getting some drum kits or breaks to chop and start keeping a library of sounds you dig, FL stock sounds ain't nuttin to f**k with, and not in a good wu-tang sense ;)

Oh I meant to say the *hi hats* usually can come every other count but you can generally lay them in a lot of patterns and still get a good result as long as the kicks and snares are laid in the right way. Also, after you can make that beat I did, I'd suggest messing with swing a bit as well. Glad I could help. A lot of people won't admit it but most of us were like you when trying to figure out how to make a beat for the first time. Egos has since gotten pretty big it seems. lol
Here is what I made It sounds way better http://snd.sc/Lw4BFc I will make the whole beat when I learn how to make it more crisp. Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:
From what I've seen producers will create the beat around the sample. for example, they will record the sample first and then make the beat.

Stretch that mutha****a

Some samples are off so you would have to chop and stretch parts of the sample and make them the bpm/temp of whatever your beat is.

:berzerk::berzerk::berzerk:

@ChrisKillumbus

Back