How do producers create beats to match their samples?

Soul samurai good info here, took couple pieces of that to help myself.

Side note: the ego thing seems to be what stopping someone like myself. I feel like my beats are decent but when you ask someone better they act like they never been in your situation at one point. I just figure karma will get em lol if you believe in it

Many will often do things the other way round by programming the drums first then finding sample and chopping it to fit the drums. It does depend though.

chopping and sampling, check out 'children sing' by Pacewon, good example..

Chop the sample on the down beat and place each piece of the sample on beat. Sometimes time stretching helps this and finding about the right tempo does well. Next option is to pitch the sample up or down to match the tempo of your drum beat or again time stretch it. Or just make the beat at the tempo of the sample and if its too slow speed it up.

Mikeyjoe pretty much hit it on the head. Try to get the tempo of the sample and slice it in spots where the song still matches the tempo. Chop in into loops. Then save an Acidized version of the loop and it will automatically match the tempo of your project. Then chop the loops into beats and reorganize them as you please.

Last edited:
Soul samurai good info here, took couple pieces of that to help myself.

Side note: the ego thing seems to be what stopping someone like myself. I feel like my beats are decent but when you ask someone better they act like they never been in your situation at one point. I just figure karma will get em lol if you believe in it
I know how you feel man.

I dont know wtf you did with that beat, but make sure the measures are right and the sample is in the same tempo as you're using for the beat.
Study Music and notes and rhythms

Listen for the beat the sample wants to have, instead of trying to make it work where it doesn't want to go. If it ain't working, you can manipulate the sample, but at some point, maybe you start thinking there's a better beat for it or a better sample for the beat.

Back