How Do I Filter Basslines Like This?....

brodel34

@ 4:37

i'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out how pete and dilla filtered basslines like that. how did pete filter that patt benatar sample to get the bass so fat? granted, i'm in fl and not an mpc, but there should still be a way. When I do it the bass isn't that fat, and i get a lot of the kick overpowering the bass. HELP

Last edited:
I wasn't being cocky. Your OP sounded like you didn't know low end theory. Your reply then seemed like the reply of a pissy 15 year old girl. I responded in kind. So whatever. Whats a medium sized beat?

I wasn't being cocky. Your OP sounded like you didn't know low end theory. Your reply then seemed like the reply of a pissy 15 year old girl. I responded in kind. So whatever. Whats a medium sized beat?

wow.. a pissy 15 yo girl? take the hate out of your life then re read my post. there was nothing negative about it. and a medium sized beat is a beat that sucks. you're no where near the level of pete rock or j dilla.... so next time try not to be so short and big headed.

Last edited:
I know the place and what not, but can I ask what it actually is? I looked on Google, but thats useless as it comes up with the "club" (I don't think thats the right word for it...).

wow.. a pissy 15 yo girl? take the hate out of your life then re read my post. there was nothing negative about it. and a medium sized beat is a beat that sucks. you're no where near the level of pete rock or j dilla.... so next time try not to be so short and big headed.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

i'm asking for help on filtering low end... how is that being a badass. all you fags that add nothing to threads can kick rocks. trolls.

Damn - all this aggro for something that has not been a secret since the 1970's - use a hpf to put each sound into it's own sonic space so that the bass from each does not phase in and out then use the lpf to get the boom that you want from each.

Im referring to Low End Theory. I read about using a LPF to get a baseline from a song. Is that what Low End Theory is?

Damn - all this aggro for something that has not been a secret since the 1970's - use a hpf to put each sound into it's own sonic space so that the bass from each does not phase in and out then use the lpf to get the boom that you want from each.

can you go into more detail please? i don't really understand what you're sayin about putting a hpf on each sound... but it sounds like you know what i'm after.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Im referring to Low End Theory. I read about using a LPF to get a baseline from a song. Is that what Low End Theory is?

yeah, essentially

Hi pass filter to remove any unwanted bottom end: HPF.
Low pass filter to remove any unwanted top end: LPF.

Corner frequencies of each (where they start to work) are best set by trial and error to begin with as you need to develop an ear as to what frequencies work best in each situation.

Can usually say that your HPF will be set to the lowest freq you want that part to cleanly produce.

Similarly your LPF is set to the highest freq you want that part to reproduce cleanly.

Hi pass filter to remove any unwanted bottom end: HPF.
Low pass filter to remove any unwanted top end: LPF.

Corner frequencies of each (where they start to work) are best set by trial and error to begin with as you need to develop an ear as to what frequencies work best in each situation.

Can usually say that your HPF will be set to the lowest freq you want that part to cleanly produce.

Similarly your LPF is set to the highest freq you want that part to reproduce cleanly.

thank you. that makes perfect sense.... i don't know why i didn't think of that before. hi pass filter to remove the bottom frequencies (the kick) and then filter out the top... and you're left with the bass.... yahtzee.

only problem is... the kick and the bass mesh with eachother on the sample i'm working with. the frequencies are the same... so when i try to filter it i'm left with this "party next door" sound... the bottom frequencies of the bass, with thuds for the kicks. hmmm

In situations like this just layer your drums over the original. In the vid pete has his drums playing over the filtered bass, you just lay your kicks over where the original kicks are.

Back