How to clean up low quality samples.

Only posting after reading the first couple of posts in this thread, though I'll have a skip through it all for useful intel... good post like ;)

Worth picking up some basic vinyl restoration tools, like waves X-Click/Noise. They're really handy for getting rid of a lot of backround noise in lo-fi recordings. Not for everybody, this though. I'll do it to a certain extent, but I reckon using the poorer quality sound artistically might work. Of course, it may just sound like a pile of crap haha ....ha, no though. I'm trying this out now, just filling out the rest of the mix with lush quality synths and stuff to enrich it overall. anybody have much experience of this?
Best, Mat

ya low quality samples are hard to work with but you can add radio static to the beat/song. This will make them blend in more.

Noise usually sits in high frequencies. Reduce high frequencies to get rid of noise. Then fill up free space on high end with something with better quality.

Sometimes no matter how hard You try quality will suck alot,,then the best thing is to just recreate whole sample with You own instruments.

Last edited:
Noise usually sits in high frequencies. Reduce high frequencies to get rid of noise. Then fill up free space on high end with something with better quality.

Sometimes no matter how hard You try quality will suck alot,,then the best thing is to just recreate whole sample with You own instruments.

One of the best ways to work with low quality samples is to just cut out some of the highs. Make a drake beat out of it :D

Another thing I've also learned is you can tune samples to "move" the highest quality information into another frequency zone. So I could easily turn an acapella into a bassline. Sounds weird huh? Listen to this...that's exactly what I did here: https://soundcloud.com/mindofxavier/13a?in=mindofxavier/sets/xxxxxxxx
(Listen to the intro and about 2:20)

Last edited:
You could try using a EQ to raise the high end of the sample if it sounds muddy or has alot of low end. I like to use waves plugins like the SSL Channel for that. Afterwards, if the sample has any pops or crackles you can use waves x-crackle, x-noise, etc to filter out unwanted noise.

Back