How to clean up low quality samples.

dmajor100

Whats good ppl I was just curious how alot of samplers clean up there samples especialy those who sample youtube. For instance I got a sample from youtube and the sound wasnt of course that good but with eqing im sure it will be better. The main issue I got is i,hear noise within the sample such as hissing and if I do eq and boost a bit it might bring out the noise even more. I have audacity but alot of the.noise removal functions take away from the sampleits self and I need it to be just a bit better than it is now. What are other options of plug ins that can help with noise,hissing, pops and other elements?

you can get rid of his noise and pops a little bit, but you can never add the information that is lost by getting a low quality sample.

Last edited:
Yeahh if the quality of your sample is absolute garbage (youtube), then you're really just stuck with it. Doesn't matter how nice of a plugin you have, that over compression hiss/warble from youtube is too loud and covers too wide of a frequency range to EQ or de-noise out without killing the musicality of the sample

Burn it on to a cd, then put it in a cd player, run that through your analog mixer. That should warm up the signal a little bit, then you can do a basic EQ before sampling into your MPC

there are sum methods but it depends upon the sample ... sum samples shud go fine jus with sum eq filters but ..others may need a long process but instead u can search for a better quality ...

dont use mp3 files i e digg alot but i use mp4 files which keeps the youtube quality then eq and compres to clean it up so it sounds better than the original.

Find a better copy.

sound advice right herrrr

Yeahh if the quality of your sample is absolute garbage (youtube), then you're really just stuck with it. Doesn't matter how nice of a plugin you have, that over compression hiss/warble from youtube is too loud and covers too wide of a frequency range to EQ or de-noise out without killing the musicality of the sample

yah! what he said..

Anything I've sample from youtube, has been resampled from a better source. gotta remember, youtube's audio is converted to be loaded quickly over the internet, its not made for audio quality..

When i find a sample w/ low quality on youtube i take a look at their albums hopefully finding the sample w/better quality.

Last edited:
Off the bat, I'd recommend simple EQ filtering. You can play back the WAV in winamp and change the EQ settings until it sounds good and then take a program and record the output from the Windows Mixer option in the windows mixing panel.

All good reply's with the EQ, filtering, etc. My philosophy with sampling is "Garbage in, garbage out". There is no other way.

Sonofmackbeats.com

Seriously guys, please stop sampling from youtube. it's not even a question of ethics anymore. You call yourselves the 'future producers' and I seriously worry about the state of sampled music over the next decade if this becomes the accepted norm.

The best way to clean up your low quality samples is not to sample from these sources in the first place. Beat up old vinyl can add a certain lo-fi character to your music. 128kb mp3s and youtube audio can not. There's no two ways about it.

if the sample is shit then it's shit, you're better off finding a better copy of the sample than actually trying to fix up the original.

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Seriously guys, please stop sampling from youtube. it's not even a question of ethics anymore. You call yourselves the 'future producers' and I seriously worry about the state of sampled music over the next decade if this becomes the accepted norm.

The best way to clean up your low quality samples is not to sample from these sources in the first place. Beat up old vinyl can add a certain lo-fi character to your music. 128kb mp3s and youtube audio can not. There's no two ways about it.

do you realise that most people sample off youtube because they can't afford to buy hardware?

Last edited:
do you realise that most people sample off youtube because they can't afford to buy hardware?

A turntable doesn't necessarily need to be a big investment. Sampling and listening can be done with a used 80's hifi system (will also have a preamp and maybe even some spekers) and those can be found for fairly low prices (at least here in Finland) if you take some time and look around..

Like I said i don't want to see this degenerate into a thread about ethics. I just think if people care about their music they owe it to themselves to seek out better quality samples. You are never gonna get the results you want when the source material is so poor.

'I sampled Skullsnaps off youtube, how do I make it bang?' You don't, and you'll be running around in circles forever trying.

I know it's been repeated ad-nauseum, but the difference that sampling from wax will make to your beats is not subtle. They'll be bigger, fuller, punchier and crisper sounding immediately, and you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't do it this way from the start.

I understand that money is tight for a lot of people right now, but you have to make sacrifices if you're passionate.

Like I said i don't want to see this degenerate into a thread about ethics. I just think if people care about their music they owe it to themselves to seek out better quality samples. You are never gonna get the results you want when the source material is so poor.

'I sampled Skullsnaps off youtube, how do I make it bang?' You don't, and you'll be running around in circles forever trying.

I know it's been repeated ad-nauseum, but the difference that sampling from wax will make to your beats is not subtle. They'll be bigger, fuller, punchier and crisper sounding immediately, and you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't do it this way from the start.

I understand that money is tight for a lot of people right now, but you have to make sacrifices if you're passionate.

yeah, you're right. i agree 100%

better sample, or if you can get hold of 'soundtrack' pro you can clean the sample up through that but its a lot of work.

It's easy to clean up high frequencies. Just make them higher using EQ. Snares, Hats etc.
But cleaning up low frequencies is hard. Very hard.
The best i can tell you is to try Izotope RX. It's a thing of wonder when it comes to audio restoration.

Last edited:
Back