How can I find songs to sample?

MoZedakos

Musician & Producer
I can't find songs to take samples from.

I have been dealing with hip hop production for one year and I have difficulty in finding songs and taking sample from them. I would like to know if you could recommend some songs to sample in order to make some oldschool hip hop beats (like those of DJ Premier).
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
How often do you listen to music? What genre(s) do you like? Sampling's great to learn but try composing non sampled beats as the former is a legal nightmare. Best way to sample is with vinyl.

Last edited:
I listen to music almost everyday.I like sampling from jazz, funk and soul songs. I have already composed non sampled beats, but I prefer making sampled beats. I like sampling from songs of artists such as Esther Philips, Willie Hutch etc. Unfortunately, I have not a turntable.

You can literally sample from anything in my opinion. My own method consists in listening to random tracks on my iTunes while my track is playing in the background and then just use your ear to recognize what can fit.

I can relate to you MoZedakos. ive been at it for a little over a year now but its slowly becoming easy to make a beat. finding a sample should be the easier part tho. listen for chords, melodies, etc. that you like and play around with them. for me I try to think about if I want a loop or if I want chops. I had an approach that worked out well. I would do chops for the hook part then do a loop for the verse. my mind set was a loop is easy on the ears and repeats which would be good for a lyricist and chops would switch it up for a hook part. stabs are cool to spice up a certain part of your beat. Everyone's different tho. the more you do it the easier it should become. oh and youtube!!!!! watch every video on youtube you can find about sampling music to see other peoples approaches. just my 2 cents. goodluck!

Thanks for your advice, but I would like you to suggest me some specific artists whose songs are appropriate for sampling and making oldschool hip hop beats.

Everything is appropriate to sample. In one of the other threads on here a dude made a beat out of some song off that nickelodeon show " franklin" you know? The little turtle? Anyways Al green, anything P-funk, thelonious monk. Theres one of each genre You requested but these have been flipped many many many times before. Or you could try to remake a Premo beat?

Thanks TaylorV. Your advice was very helpful.I sampled song of Al Green named "Here I am".

Last edited:
Back