Hey looking for those breakdown drums i think they're like harder toms..?

jmvstvj

looking for those heavy tom drops, does anybody have any idea what i'm talking about? if so please help me find some! and also i'm looking for a heavy up to date 808x kick cause the ones i have aren't doin it :( not the regular 808 kick, the one that layers under it as meaning the sub behind the kick. thanks all cheers! happy music making

Could you provide an audio example of some track where these toms are easy to hear, and point out the timing in the song.

Could you provide an audio example of some track where these toms are easy to hear, and point out the timing in the song.

yeah it's normally like a down tune of the snares, though i'm looking more specifically on the tom side to gain that heavier jungle effect sort. i did happen to boost my 808 kick so thats fine. let me get that audio example. youtube this i havent posted more than 5 yet lol.

@ 3:19 those aren't exactly snares right? they're more on the heavy tom side as they down shift tune? i'm looking for something sort of on that low end. thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a real drumkit. Either a sample from a song, or a couple of oneshot samples.
The first hit is a snaredrum, and the rest are toms at different sizes, going from a tom with a higher pitch, and moving downwards.
To get that drum pregression, you simply need to either find a nice sample of it and use it, or find a samplekit with recorded drumhits and/or drumloops that match your needs (or of course do a real recording, if you now wanna do that).
And just to mention, you won't be able to recreate that by using 1 tom sample and pitching it down, you'll need to think a little bit on the drumset and use multiple different toms recorded with the same drumkit.
If you'll go with a oneshot drumpack, the best would be to have one with several recorded takes on each drum.
Then you can do some processing to enhance them and make them hit harder.

Last edited:
finally listened to this: on a 16th grid I hear it as follows (xx means both sticks hit the indicated drum)

1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
tom1x
tom2xx
floor tomx
snarexxx

almost a stock rock/pop drum fill

this is also filled with dynamic information and a very subtle groove and the toms are panned with some separation between them

Last edited:
very elaborate measuring layout there! thank you that really does give me a better visual. anybody around mind handing me a drum kit that includes these toms? although by the time, i may have found it inside my library somewhere. thank you all i appreciate the help! cheers~!

Last edited:
cubase/reason/reaper

I have maschine mkI

I'd be looking in the maschine library for rock kits

Back