Help a wandering producer out? Yea?

A

ARNEL

What's good, FP!

I'm REAAALLLLYYYY desperate to get good at sampling/diggin/flip-this'in but I need someone to gimme some BASIC steps to the process.

Right now, the way I go about it is basically find an acapella of a song I wanna sample and then load up on Cubase and chop it up and use the parts I want and then just place them over a beat and try to work some magic. (You can here some of my work on www(dot)arnelcustic(dot)tumblr(dot)com). I personally don't find it that good at all and I KNOWWWW i've got a long ways to go but a couple people have told me so far that I'm headed in the right direction with everything.

My point is, I need some step-by-step direction if possible. I'm not asking for samples or songs or anything like that because I'm willing and ready to do the dirty work (digging) myself. I just need some basics steps to it.

Such as:
- How do I sample an actual song? (such as "La Roux - In For The Kill" let's say) Because so far I've only been using songs with ONLY vocals (no beats, adlibs, etc).

- How do I "speed up" the song I'm sampling? Because so far I've just been cutting and chopping up vocals I've found and placing them over beats. But a part of me tells me that there's a BETTER and SMARTER and more efficient way of going about it.

- And any other tips/advice/suggestions is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks a lot, FP-ers! :)

[Sorry it's so long, btw!]

I can only suggest you tube man....there are millions of video tutorials for the rookies and for the pro's also! Do alot of searchin' and i know you gonna find somethin' tha gon help u out!

Jep youtube is your friend! Even for the pros! There's even a video where some random kid learns Dj premier how to use the MPC proper!

Peace

Well sampling is more than putting accapellas over beats. Just find a song you like chop it up, loop it whatever your feelin. I get confused when people ask how to sample, I never really even thought to ask, just play around, listen to music, figure out different things. And ya the tube got lots of stuff.

cubase latency is wac personaly but its jus me . fl is the easiest an funn way to go you jus got to get familar with it , fl by the best sampling chopping beatmaking sofware evermade, even ten year 12 year old kidds be dropping heat so what does that say bout fl its that simple a kidd with a lil knoledge of his software can make decent qualit beats ..fl the easiest

Back