Help with recreating samples

Onox

Alright so I have two samples here, one strings and the other a percussion loop and I'm trying to figure out the best way to recreating them. I did not make these but they're very old from the 1998 era and believe they are of trap type, they're from a video game. Heres the two samples in question: https://clyp.it/ay5s5kge strings and this https://clyp.it/spw544ql. What would be the best VST or soundfont I can buy and use to recreate these specific sounds? As I cannot find updated samples like these anywhere. Its for a project, any suggestions would be nice and FYI my main DAW of use is Mixcraft 7 if anyone was wondering. Thank you.

1998-- "Very old." That's too funny. I wonder what that makes me?

Actually, the first clip sounds more like analog or FM "horns," with heavy phase-shifter applied.
The second is simply a high-pitched hat pattern with a synthetic, no-decay hand clap (like something from an old Yamaha RX7) with a lot of 'verb (probably spring reverb) applied.

GJ

1998-- "Very old." That's too funny. I wonder what that makes me?

Haha, I know, right?
"Very old" to me is turn of the century...like 1900...but that's not even that old, it's just an experience and life that I kind of couldn't relate to at all in the time that I grew up in. (born in '81)

The first clip, to me, sounds like a heavy phased string patch from a synth. You know how (alot of) synths cant really pull off the string sound very well and it sounds corny? That is this sound. Whoever made it is fudging the delay in the amplitude filter a bit as well.

The second clip sounds like a hihat pattern with effects placed on it. As described above, reverb has been applied. The clap is processed separately with some predelay in there to give that kind of delayed presence.

Okay maybe the "very old" part was a bit much :p forgive me, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff lol anyways so how can I recreate those sounds with my own synths and hi-hats/claps? Because I have my own instruments that sound just like those but don't know how to add the decay, delay, shifter effect you guys are talking about. I can however add my own reverb, do I need a phase shifter VST to produce something like this? Again thanks for your input as always.

Last edited:
Yes, if you are working strictly "in the box" (computer). It would be helpful to know what equipment and/or programs you have, I guess...

GJ

Yes, if you are working strictly "in the box" (computer). It would be helpful to know what equipment and/or programs you have, I guess...

GJ

Yep I only work digitally (pc) Mixcraft 7 with a variety of instruments, loops, VST's and soundfonts.

OK, look through your available plug-ins and see if you have any flanger or phase-shifter effects. You must have reverb; it probably has a "pre-delay" setting for you to experiment with. See if you have anything that is a spring reverb emulation. I think the one patch is analog horns, with effects applied to make it sound "string-y;" Audiophorm thinks that it's strings. So start with those sounds and see how close you can get...

GJ

I have something that sounds like FM Horns, here it is and some cymbal clap loops from my library but they don't sound close to the original one I'm aiming for. I did download some phase shifter VST's today like the PHA979 and BlueCat Audio's Phaser but don't really know how to use them either.

Back