HELP!! Not sure if this Ableton Live feature exist or if there is a work around..

Villain Beats

Hello all, My name is RAMAH. First post here, or to any online board really for that matter... Anyways, I'm looking for a way to more efficiently chop samples. I use Maschine and Ableton but prefer to do all my chopping in Ableton due to the numerical layout/rule and also the warping/ transpose features.

Example pf Large sample being chopped up.

ABLETON.jpg

Basically, I'd like to record a sample track into Ableon -> Stretch it / warp it / get my BPM on point -> chop up a let's say 16 bar sample into 16 different .wav files to put into Maschine so they can be perfectly timed and be played on the pads. I don't really wish to use Maschine as Midi in Ableton, but I'm more so looking for a way to mass save multiple samples at one time. It gets super tedious to individually name and export 16 different times. Is there a way to export and have them all saved at once in my sample folder? EX: Sample 01.wav, Sample 02.wav, etc...

I had seen the "extract grooves feature" or the "convert to midi", but idk that doesn't really seem like what I'm looking for.

Any help, insight, suggestions, recommendations, or feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I plan to actively start posting and checking everyone's stuff out. This is the first forum I can really get behind. You guys a great!

you are basically looking to use ableton as your default editing device is what i took from your explanation.
you are correct that the extract groove and convert to midi features will not help you with this.

the easiest way to do this is to:

-set the warp/chop points in the desired points of your sample then right click and select "slice to new midi track" that will automatically assign each of the cuts you made to pads across the drum rack device in ableton. then in the drop down menu select "warp marker"...

(this will basically create a mirror reflection of the pad set up of maschine/push/mpc/etc onto the drum rack device in ableton... the way the sounds on the visual display appear, will be assigned to those same pads on your controller.)

-OR you can simply not set the warp points and use any of the other options such as 1/16, transients, etc.

once these samples are converted to a drum rack, you can choose to name them individually (or not) then select the little disc icon (parallel to the power button or "device activator" button on the drum rack...look a little to the right) to save these cuts as is in the user library.

from then you will have to navigate from your maschine or other software to locate and load that library/preset and i have no experience with that.

this probably seems complicated but once you complete the task a few times, it's very quick work. i can chop and have a break or melody ready to play in a drum rack within a couple minutes, depending on its complexity...sometimes less.

as to whether or not these slices will be compatible with maschine...i do not know. it seems like they would be, depending on maschines compatibility with whatever the format of the sound that you imported to chop... BUT, it does seem like it would be easier to go ahead and use maschine as your midi device in ableton to control the drum rack from this point, or else you would be introducing additional steps.

chances are, there is probably someone here who has already done exactly what you are looking to accomplish with maschine and they will hopefully chime in. sorry, i have no experience with maschine so cannot guide you on specifics of that.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the in-depth response. Still need to get my Maschine set up as a midi controller in Ableton to try this out, but it sounds easy enough!

Back