help chopping

bobsmitt

i have been sampling for many months and i can't get how people chop samples so well. whenever i try taking a section of a song into the FL Slicer and placing with it i always end up with some weird melody i try to play or i play a few slices over while playing a few of them extra times. I can't figure out how people learn how to chop samples so well. any tips to learn how to chop samples as in taking parts of song and slicing it and rearranging by playing them on the keys or any other methods or FL Sampling Videos people can show me would be appreciated.

PS: i apologize for the terrible grammar and spelling the above paragraph

I wouldn't recommend using the FL Slicer if you are having difficulty. Do you have adobe audition (formerly cool edit pro). Chopping is a breeze in that program.

Not sure if you wanted certain techniques or not.
Give me an example if so.

i dont know if how much you know about sampling so im going to assume you know nothing.

you need to chop on the beat, like make your chops on a snare or a kick. for me, when using the fruity slicer, i will listen to a song, and mark the spots that i want, when i find some good sections of the song, i will count out 4 bars, sometimes more, and cut it with soundforge/audition, then ill load that into the FL slicer and you can tell it how many beats there are, then you can choose to cut on each beat or half beat, and that is the easiest way to flip samples flawlessly and make it sound like they arent even chopped, because then its just like fitting puzzle peices together, not torn peices of a picture. they fit together perfectly if your tempo is right

im sort of manual in my approach/stuck in routine/whatever

for drums, i sample each individual hit (kick, crash, hat tom etc) into my hardware sampler until ive made my own kits then assign them to my pads (dont have an mpc so working off of a akai mpd16 - pads, and emu esi32 sampler) sounds a bit labourious but i love it man, i save all my kits ive made to the floppy disk drive on the esi32 and just load the disks when it comes time to make beats, then when ive tapped out my drum track work in different effects/vst's

there's loads easier ways but i like keeping things quite manual, feel more satisfaction when a beat is made that way than if i racked up fruity loops and threw in soundbank drums. Not to say that way is better than anyone elses but it work for me

now i'm far from experienced but i'll add my two pence... i chop my samples in cubase and i assume from the original post that you are referring to a melody sample as opposed to chopping drums. i chop my samples in cubase as this is all i have at the moment and although there may be an easier way this is what works for me: what i do is take a whole bar of the section i wanna sample and them timestrech to the desired tempo. i then slice and re-allign parts that do not naturally sound on beat to get loop in perfect sync (still sounding as it did when i pulled it but to an exact tempo). then as somebody else said i use the quantize to slice into sections (1/16th bar or whatever you wanna do). normally i have to hear it in my head first and then actually do it as trial an error usually results in a effed up melody that aint sounding that hot as you have found yourself. obviously when you are getting more confident you can take sections from various loops and combine them into one bars worth or whatever but i find by making sure everything is in time first, chopping and then re-arranging is much easier.

Tim

"then as somebody else said i use the quantize to slice into sections (1/16th bar or whatever you wanna do)."

What does quantize mean? I do not fully understand that term after hearing it time and time again.

Quantize is just a stupid word for putting everything on time. without Quantize beats would be out of place, drums wouldent hit when there suppose to, ever heare a off key beat? no quantized was use,

u can also use it to make snare rools hi hat rolls, snares sound like a double hit, like from a drummer. etc

bobsmitt said:
i have been sampling for many months and i can't get how people chop samples so well. whenever i try taking a section of a song into the FL Slicer and placing with it i always end up with some weird melody i try to play or i play a few slices over while playing a few of them extra times. I can't figure out how people learn how to chop samples so well. any tips to learn how to chop samples as in taking parts of song and slicing it and rearranging by playing them on the keys or any other methods or FL Sampling Videos people can show me would be appreciated.

PS: i apologize for the terrible grammar and spelling the above paragraph

stop ****in with fruity slicer and get you a mpc

^^ dog he dosen't need an mpc. he just need to learn what works and what dosen't. and the best way to inport your drum hits in FL is to use the sampler not the slicer. don't hate on the Fruit man...

trebeatz said:
i dont know if how much you know about sampling so im going to assume you know nothing.

you need to chop on the beat, like make your chops on a snare or a kick. for me, when using the fruity slicer, i will listen to a song, and mark the spots that i want, when i find some good sections of the song, i will count out 4 bars, sometimes more, and cut it with soundforge/audition, then ill load that into the FL slicer and you can tell it how many beats there are, then you can choose to cut on each beat or half beat, and that is the easiest way to flip samples flawlessly and make it sound like they arent even chopped, because then its just like fitting puzzle peices together, not torn peices of a picture. they fit together perfectly if your tempo is right

real talk

emceenj said:
I wouldn't recommend using the FL Slicer if you are having difficulty. Do you have adobe audition (formerly cool edit pro). Chopping is a breeze in that program.

Not sure if you wanted certain techniques or not.
Give me an example if so.

how about the program that goes with reason that does the choppin,. ?

tbur23 said:
i then slice and re-allign parts that do not naturally sound on beat to get loop in perfect sync (still sounding as it did when i pulled it but to an exact tempo). then as somebody else said i use the quantize to slice into sections (1/16th bar or whatever you wanna do).
Tim
What do you mean by re-allign parts, and how do you quantize audio in cubase? are we talking SX?

I struggled with SX with the chopping so I used sound forge, but im a baby to this, which tool in cubase do you use to chop?

Last edited:
I use Propellerhead Recycle to chop samples.
I sample with soundforge, save it to a wav and open it with Recycle and chop it.

Charlee_Hess said:
^^ dog he dosen't need an mpc. he just need to learn what works and what dosen't. and the best way to inport your drum hits in FL is to use the sampler not the slicer. don't hate on the Fruit man...
you right homie i was a lil out of line there use the fruit don't let any one tell you different ....do you always do you!

Back