Has he autochopped in order to get the notes?

Nebelongbeats

Just signed up. Dedicated to transform my inner creativity into beats. But for me to do that, I have to start simple. Therefore I bought an Akai Mini + a Native Maschine Mikro. I will start out with samples and trying to have fun with, while I learn how to produce beats + add real instruments (with the Akai Mini), so I also incorporate this in my work methods.

My question is: Has dtownsboy (though it is his friend actually hitting the pads) autochopped the video in the bottom? I mean, what has his method been in order for him to do this?

This means a lot to me, so I would really appreciate your input. Thanks.

/Nebelongbeats

EDIT: I can't submit links cause I just signed up. So if you google dtownsboy Beat Session 5, it should be the first youtube video coming up. It's 5 minutes and 2 seconds long.

Last edited:

Choppin the video or the beat? Unless he has the best autochop software I'd say no. I had uh sample like this the other day (I always chop manually) but it didn't really change shit, so I kept it on auto. There's no way to say really. You'd have to ask him ..

Thanks for your reply, karledwards. I will ask him. Anybody else that has a different perspective on how he may have chopped up his slices?

However, your reply brings me to another question. Which chopping software (with the autochop feature) would you recommend to a rookie with an Akai Mini and a Maschine Mikro?

Last edited:
The instance I was just talkin about was on the MPC. I use FL9, but I chop in Audacity. You may wanna try ReCycle..

Could be autochopped but could also be done manually.. The method isn't as important as the result. Seems to be chopped on every beat so basically if it is from a straight loop, autochop would get it done faster.
I would advice not to rely on autochop too much if you are just looking to get started as you will most likely learn and get better faster if you do it manually.

Deleted Post(s)

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

Could be autochopped but could also be done manually.. The method isn't as important as the result. Seems to be chopped on every beat so basically if it is from a straight loop, autochop would get it done faster.
I would advice not to rely on autochop too much if you are just looking to get started as you will most likely learn and get better faster if you do it manually.

Hi jyri. I agree it's important not to rely too much on autochopping. I believe it's equally important to do your own chops manually, and I will try to get there sooner rather than later.

What do you mean by "Seems to be chopped on every beat so basically if it is from a straight loop"?

EDIT: I think I found my software. I'm leaning towards Cubase. Just saw a tutorial and it seemed pretty manageable. What do you think of Cubase? Is it worth the money, or is there something cheaper (if not for free), that get's the job done?

Last edited:
It sounds like it's straight from one part of the song and not bits and pieces from here and there. And it's simply chopped on every beat of the bar, every chop being a quarter long.
Autochop usually spreads the chop points evenly throughout the sample. For example, if you have an exactly 4 bar long sample in 4/4 signature and chop it to 16 parts with autochop, you will end up with 16 one quarter long chops.

Cubase will definitely be worth the money. Try out the demo and see if you like working with it.

deffo autochopped and if its not then its pretty much the same effect as doing it. hard to tell without the original sample.

when you see people hitting the pads in time like that, its usually been autochopped or just chopped to the beat.

Dope sample fam.

Indeed.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

I seen reason dr.rex without even watching the video im guessing he chopped using recycle exported the rex file.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow you.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

when you see people hitting the pads in time like that, its usually been autochopped or just chopped to the beat.

When you say 'chopped to the beat', are you then talking about chopping up the sample in beats in stead of bars in my chopping software?

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

I've just been playing around with, and I think I know how to do it now. Making hitpoints were the waves are the hightest is a good way to know when to make a chop, and when not to. Looking forward to get more experienced in this process. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
I've just been playing around with, and I think I know how to do it now. Making hitpoints were the waves are the hightest is a good way to know when to make a chop, and when not to. Looking forward to get more experienced in this process. Practice makes perfect.
This may work when the sample contains a simple drum pattern. But if there isn't one or it's more than kicks on 1 and 3 and snares on 2 and 4, you may have to simply count the beats in your head to get your chop markers positioned correctly (or have an exact loop and autochop it). It's nothing more than chopping on the beat after all, one of the most basic chopping techniques.

This may work when the sample contains a simple drum pattern. But if there isn't one or it's more than kicks on 1 and 3 and snares on 2 and 4, you may have to simply count the beats in your head to get your chop markers positioned correctly (or have an exact loop and autochop it). It's nothing more than chopping on the beat after all, one of the most basic chopping techniques.

At this stage where I'm at right now, it sounds like it would save me a lot of time to fully understand what you're talking about in your post. Can you please tell me more about this?

If you have a sample in 4/4 time signature, it has 4 beats/bar. Let's say you have a sample that's exactly 4 bars long. If you count the beats and place chop markers according to them, you should end up with 16 chops that are exactly the same lenght. If the sample is exactly the 4 bars, when you set the 16 markers with autochop, it will result in the same chops as it will place the markers in equal distances.

If you have a sample in 4/4 time signature, it has 4 beats/bar. Let's say you have a sample that's exactly 4 bars long. If you count the beats and place chop markers according to them, you should end up with 16 chops that are exactly the same lenght. If the sample is exactly the 4 bars, when you set the 16 markers with autochop, it will result in the same chops as it will place the markers in equal distances.

Thanks. I'm with you now.

Back