Gonna get started sampling.......

3rik

when i first got into production I told myself to stay away from sampling....but now...with all my cash spent on my mpc 2k classic i can;t make nbeats with a keyboard because the mpc is the only equipment i have....so then i said **** it, I don't have money for a keyboard so im'a sample........so considering we have a lot of knowlegable producers here, any tips/suggestions or comments would be appreciated for a newbie sampler..................

Last edited:
The number one suggestion I have, is to start getting the concept of "fitting" samples into your beats. Nothing worse than when people sample and everything just sounds mushed together with no kind of harmony. You definitely need a "different" kind of ear because how you go about doing the beat --like anything else-- will affect the outcome.

Also,

Don't go by what other people are doing....get an idea of what kind of samples you like, and follow your own heart. There is no set method for sampling...just look at everything you listen to as a potential instrument for your production.

HeIsTruth said:
The number one suggestion I have, is to start getting the concept of "fitting" samples into your beats. Nothing worse than when people sample and everything just sounds mushed together with no kind of harmony. You definitely need a "different" kind of ear because how you go about doing the beat --like anything else-- will affect the outcome.

Also,

Don't go by what other people are doing....get an idea of what kind of samples you like, and follow your own heart. There is no set method for sampling...just look at everything you listen to as a potential instrument for your production.
that's excatly how my first attempts have turned out like, and i was pretty frustrated considering the amount of time it took to chop the sample on the 2k classic

Last edited:
some good sampling guidlines
-if it sounds better as a loop then don't chop it
-try to stay away from well known artists unless it's HOT track
-only buy turntables and vinyl if ur gonna try to buy more rare stuff that's harder to find online
-try sampling a range of genres to figure out what you're favorite or is easiest for u
-practicing alot is good like just a good start is taking samples from major records trying to flip the sample differently
the share a sample thread on this site has alot of gems and artists to start with

Don't worry too much about how popular the artist is. I don't think some Southern sample-based producers could survive without Curtis Mayfield. Just make sure that the song you're sampling hasn't already been done. The-breaks.com can be a good aid in finding out. But if it's a hot sample, use it.

I've yet to find some good samples, or maybe it's my inexperience...I've only had my mpc for 3 days

3rik said:
I've yet to find some good samples, or maybe it's my inexperience...I've only had my mpc for 3 days

You gotta go through some old records. o.k. you don't HAVE to...but it's the method that's been used for a LONG time, and after you do it a few times you'll know whats up. (I'm talking about finding dope samples, not getting them on time.)

Let me put it this way...now that I've dug through thrift store records to look for samples, it makes me better at recognizing a good sample on MP3 or CD or whatevr. But if you do it the other way (start with CD's and MP3's)...I really think it's easy to get sucked into this 'Soundset' mentality where you just collect a bunch of folders of wack instruments you'll never use. (maybe not) but I just think there's a REASON why a lot of the biggest songs were done with some records and an MPC. (You've got an MPC so you're half way there)..but I really think sampling vinyl is a must, just to LEARN about how it's done by walking in the footsteps of the great producres in hip hop.

3rik said:
I really don't have the kind of money to get a turntable

man I know it sucks bro...I don't have the money to get an MPC;) but try to find a cheap, used belt-drive table...coulkd get one for $75. A good cartridge and needle cost $70 (after that, replacement needles cost $35)..

..but the records are $1 a piece. You can go spend $10 and find a bunch of good samples. I promise it will take your production to new heights. good luck.

jizzer said:
man I know it sucks bro...I don't have the money to get an MPC;) but try to find a cheap, used belt-drive table...coulkd get one for $75. A good cartridge and needle cost $70 (after that, replacement needles cost $35)..

..but the records are $1 a piece. You can go spend $10 and find a bunch of good samples. I promise it will take your production to new heights. good luck.
do you recommend using any perticular samples or could you hook me up with some? just to get started you know? i'f you have that song "rubber band" by the trammps I'd appreciated it......I love that song "hate it or love it"

Back