Getting samples on beat

apexxhiphop

What techniques do you guys do to get your samples on beat? Currently I'm using ableton but I find the warping a little confusing sometimes. Just want to know how you guys do it

That's most likely not possible dependin on the genre, but if so I'd just chop it bar by bar & timestretch each one to fit the BPM.

The very first thing I do is establish the original tempo and then cut the sample to the correct length relative to it's tempo, if you just pluck some figure out of thin air you will most likely be making things more difficult.

yeah, i first figure out the tempo, then i'm playing sample/chops around when it fits in 4 bars..

The very first thing I do is establish the original tempo and then cut the sample to the correct length relative to it's tempo, if you just pluck some figure out of thin air you will most likely be making things more difficult.
How do you figure out the correct length once you've found the tempo?

i dont even find the tempo half the time.. most of my beats are around 90-96 bpm, cause i like the feel of that tempo il just pitch my sample up and/or down and make the chops fit..

all you really have to do is make the drum hits of the sample land on yours, try not to over think it man, its too easy to get stuck in a rut like this.

it really depends on the sample.. i know alot of jazz has a varying tempo,

this is what id do; lay your drums down just a simple kick snare kick snare, then roughly chop your sample where you think itl sound dope, lay them chops down over your drums and then pitch each one individually (thats what id do anyway..) its all about trial and error, so experiment man and have fun with it

I would chop on the down beat of the sample where the tempos change and force it to tempo with hard quantizing usually 1/8 notes 100% or I would find the tempo by the second or third decimal space

Do it MPC style, cut it up like the guys said but do it beat by beat making sure that the cut happens on the attack of each beat in the sample. this way when you play it out with either pads or keyboard etc it will be every beat on the beat because you played it in. if you find slight gaps, you need to raise the tempo. if you decided you still wanted it slower then do the above, resample the whole phrase so its one file again and pitch and stretch it as you want.
If you don't know how to cut up samples mpc style, maybe check out youtube or the mpc forums. thats the best way though without a doubt because there is less chance of weird glitches or anomolies caused by pitching and stretching overly. Hope that helps, if anything needs to be clearer give me a shout.

lol at mpc style. I highly doubt that style came about from people using mpcs. Its more like chop it on the down beats like u would do a drum loop since before the mpcs were on the market

whatever man, was giving him a point of reference to start from and as its well covered and easy to find if you google chopping mpc its a good way to go. I'm not here to give a history lesson, im answering his question in a quick simple and simply referenced example.

I chop up that sample. Choose a random BPM in my DAW (Reason), lay down a basic drum pattern (which I add to later) and bang out the sample in that tempo. EZ DONE BRAH

I would chop on the down beat of the sample where the tempos change and force it to tempo with hard quantizing usually 1/8 notes 100% or I would find the tempo by the second or third decimal space

Yes, it took me such a long time to wrap my head around chopping on the downbeat but that really helped cause I was hella limited before that.

whatever man, was giving him a point of reference to start from and as its well covered and easy to find if you google chopping mpc its a good way to go. I'm not here to give a history lesson, im answering his question in a quick simple and simply referenced example.

thats fine and all but why give someone a term that may well confuse them in the future when trying to find other information or even if he decides to buy a mpc. imo its best to not even put that idea in his head.

Back