Genres to sample

i really love Micheal Jackson tunes to sample, especially the slower ones.

a recent flip i did was a ballad from Usher's Here I Stand.

I dont discriminate, if it sounds good, and I feel I can do it justice, Im choppin it. I prefer soulful, something with some humming in it, but we've chopped a little of everything.

I sample anything that has Soul in it. wether it's R&B/Jazz/Classical/Rock. I like mellow/relaxing maybe a bit sad stuff usually.
But i do sample 70's Soul the most.

My new beat i sampled Erykah Badu. cause I can also flip a Hip-Hop Instrumental if i want to.

Anything and Everything. Sometimes I find some dope samples in old country music, haha and I make a beat out of that. Anything that sounds good to you man. There are no limits to sampling, if it sounds good, use it.

I usually prefer jazz samples like the one in my signature. But I've seen someone sample Blue Oyster Cult and Toby Keith in the same track.

Anything is possible.

Last edited:
I listen to everything from 70's Soul to Indian music. I even listen to old school cartoon soundtracks. Things like Superfriends and Voltron. I did this beat a couple months ago from a sample on the Robotech soundtrack and called the beat Rick Hunter. It was corny, but it was still cool. I just like digging and listening to shit. The best feeling is hearing that sound, drum break, or loop and going, "That's it. This the one."

Last edited:
anyone else sampling a lot of 60's garage rock? sometimes you can find breaks...usually i find a lot of great basslines to loop

italian movie soundtracks from the late 60s to early 80s (until they start to sound, well, 80-ish..)

I love sampling melodic pieces... fall in love with some samples.

Back