Gemini XL-100 for sampling?

kbro4

Hey FP,

Newbie here, just starting to collect records and explore the world of vinyl. I'm looking to buy my first turntable soon and I've got my eye on a brand new Gemini XL-100 listed on eBay for a little over $50. Comes in a factory-sealed box with all the bells and whistles. While the price point is certainly attractive, I've been reading up on the table and apparently it's caught a lot of flack from DJs for having issues with speed and being stubborn when it comes to scratching. With that being said, I'm only looking to play and sample records with the table, not perform with it. I'm prepared to upgrade the stock components (headshell, cartridge, needle, etc.) if better results can be achieved. Has anyone had success with particular brands? For example, I've heard nothing but good things about certain Shure needles. To sum it up, yes, I plan on upgrading to a better table when I have the finances to do so. But for the time being, do you think the XL-100 will suit my needs? Thanks for your help.

Back