Funk & Soul Vinyl - show/podcast

s.singh

www.mellowdeep.com
Hey guys, thought some of you may be interested in a podcast/show I am the co host of - we focus on playing rare funk/soul records - the show is an hour in length and is 95% music with 5% us talking so maybe it'll give you some ideas for sampling/discovering new artists.

It's available as a free download or stream on soundcloud.

Hope you enjoy and hope it helps you discover new artists!

Peace

Haha, big yaself up bro!

Nice equipment list there btw, would love to hear some of your beats with all that good stuff!

Haha, big yaself up bro!

Nice equipment list there btw, would love to hear some of your beats with all that good stuff!

I've just edited it!
Sold a few items this morning (3 mics - stereo valve compressor - Korg VolcaKeys & nanokontrol2) and picked up a Novation Circuit from The Disc!
Ha!

I've sort of got 2 setups... Maschine is my main piece in the attic - but have a baby so not getting up there much right now - livingroom carpet rig: MPC500 & Circuit (the Erebus can float between) and headphones!
So I'm in experimentation mode TBH... Synthy/Electro shit is new to me - I need a minute! Ha ha!

I won the Erebus in a comp, so I can't grumble! :D

I listened to the show last night - forwarded to KBee (London head) as well - right up his street! Good work man! Great show!

appreciate that for real man! As mentioned on twitter I'm glad it's caught the attention of a real music head!

You'll have to let me know how Maschine compares to the MPC500 - I recently bought a Maschine Mikro and loving it playing stuff on the pads rather than keys tbh. Also have you ever played on the older MPCs? I've messed about on an MPC2000 and would love to know how the 500 compares to it if you've had experience using both?

The 500 is my first venture into MPC-World...
The workflow is a lot slower...
To be honest... I much prefer Maschine... Chopping samples is much quicker than on the 500.

I dunno man... I'm starting to get a few bits done with the MPC but I'm definitely finding the learning curve pretty steep.

I'm gonna persevere for a couple months but I can see a used Mikro (and a second Dell power supply - cos I can't be bothered untidying that from the main studio all the time!) on the horizon if I'm honest.
I got the 500 for a very good price, so I won't be out of pocket if I flog it for a used Mikro.

Just worried that my 'packupable livingroom carpet rig' might get a bit too big and piss off the missus...
I don't need that...

@ImNoGuru sorry for the late reply bro - 2 rigs is mad though man, soon you'll have a studio in each room I'm sure. Different kit in each one too :)

@88Thao - thank you man, appreciate that for real and hope you enjoyed the show and future ones. New show dropping February 1st!

@ImNoGuru sorry for the late reply bro - 2 rigs is mad though man, soon you'll have a studio in each room I'm sure. Different kit in each one too

While that prospect (to me) sounds amazing it definitely has the potential for divorce proceedings...
She's super supportive though bless her! But I don't reckon there's many women who want a studio in the living-room!
She copes pretty well considering... We're (2 boys, 1 cat and myself) a bit of a handful... Baby toys, Xbox (the 11 year old) games/controllers, several pairs of headphones, laptops, samplers, synths, 4-track tape recorders, random mics, guitars (kitchen is the only room in the house not permanently housing at least one guitar) everywhere really... Poor girl!

that sounds awesome though man. Maybe she'll be chopping samples rather than vegetables soon and giving you a run for your money!

Funkin' February's edition of the show - take a listen & let me know what you think :)

Hope you find some sampling ideas/discover new artists.

Back