Flying Lotus speed up drum breaks?

SunRa

Konducta In Space
Was watching this video of Flying Lotus in his studio on the akai mpd24. You can see at 0:22 where it looks like he's triggering different drum breaks on the pads but the breaks are just speed up. He's obviously not playing that drum pattern live that fast. Can anyone give any insight on this? Like does he chop one to trigger at the kick drum, one at the snare, and then just a drum fill? and kind of freelance it? I've been experimenting with this on the drum breaks I get off vinyl. Speeding them up and trying to chop them into cool little breaks that I can sort of freestyle drums with, then adding stuff on top to create what I want. I've been interested in this lately mainly because I was trying to do more than just your standard boom bap. Any input would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

I pulled the audio into audacity and slowed it down to see if I could figure out whats going on. Sounds like he just sampled some drum breaks from a jazz drum solo. One pad is triggering a kick drum + crash cymbal, the other is triggering a snare with the ride cymbal in the back ground, one is a simple kick drum, and one is 2 snare hits to create a sort of drum fill.

---------- Post added 04-24-2013 at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-23-2013 at 11:01 AM ----------

Wack.. Future Producers is dead.

Last edited:
yeah, i mean, you dont have to chop drum samples to trigger just one hit. this can be effective when attempting to create more "realistic" styles of drums because it might not be so obvious where you cut them.

you can produce some pretty interesting grooves this way cause it retains small portions of the original groove and then takes on entirely new timing/groove when you rearrange into your own drum compositions.

wish i could see the video though

Back