fluid samples

T

the pharmacyst

i can get my samples to loop perfect on their own but when i try to piece it together it train wrecks. i have a a beat playing and i have a woman's voice sample i want to lay over the beat but it just jumps in and sounds ****ty...i don't know how to describe it better. this seems to be the story with all my loops. they loop fine by themselves but when they have to loop with other loops it train wrecks.

i have a loop of trumpets and i want to want to throw a piano loop with it or transition to it. both loops are from the same song btw. it just fails miserably.

using fl studio, acid, and sound forge

The reason that happens is that the loops just don't go together that well. Remember you're dealing with sampling human players, and the feel of one song may not match the feel of another.

When I have that problem in Cubase, I zoom in on the timeline to both loops on separate tracks. You'll be able to see pretty plainly that the "hits" are not falling on top of each other. In this case, you'll need to split the loops into sections and manually shift over the parts that need to hit at the same time. Then once you're done that, do some crossfades in there to hide the editing damage.

just chop it up in ACid, and move the hits so they line to to the drum beat. It works for em everytime.

my experience has been that it has been beneficial to learn some music theory and learn to listen to what chords the different parts of the song are in, so I can then match samples to sound like they're in harmony or provide some kind of cooperation to the other part of the track.
music isn't always but is often constructed using certain rules and if, for instance, two sounds are dissonant they will sound like utter ****. i have had to learn to use samples musically, not blindly.

that's not how everyone does it though!

ur gonna have to chop it into 2 seperate parts and line them up together aka split the sample so it lines up right

alternatively, you can stretch the samples to the same BPM.
but if theyre in the wrong key it'll still sound messed up. some things just dont work good.

Back