Finding specific samples

Royce Ross

Alright, so im gonna try to word this properly so you may be able to help me. Heres the thing, i really want to find some samples that match the mood of 808's and heartbreak. Now, i understand that you can just tell me to go dig, and thats what i plan to do... but i need a basic understanding of digging. I know that you can sort of get an idea of how a records going to sound based upon its year, genre, artist/band, hell maybe even label. So what im asking you guys, is can you please help me identify the type of records i need to look for? Years, artists, labels, genre? Im not looking for a huge helping hand, i know i need to do for myself. But i need a point in the right direction because i dont know what years i need to look for or any artist names... im pretty much very ignorant when it comes to this. SO any help is appreciated

I dunno anything about what kanye used for that album...however i'm sure people on youtube/google know what samples he used, so take those and type em into amazon and they'll usually recommend similar artists.. Then you can even go one step further and take your results and do the same thing again into amazon and keep branching out from there. Then write down the artists you wanna check out and go cop that ish.

what i do is try to find what the sample was by going to whosampled.com. they have sampled songs from a lot of artists. i find a sample that was used for a beat that i like and i try to find other songs from the same artist to give it the same feel.

everything srmprod and itslogic said .. + find the artists or even the songs samples,get onto websites like last.fm or pandora.com ,since amazon always gives me shitty suggestions ,those websites r like a mini digger sitting on your shoulder whispering u to 'check this out,and check that out' lol

kayne doesnt really sample obscure stuff...download shit like the top 100 billboard hits of the various years of the 70's

ok listen here royce ross....
i usually hate when ppl ask for things that u are asking for....
only because ur ruining it for yourself....diggin and finding samples is part of the fun....
its kinda pointless if you have a checklist of artists to look for...i highly recommend just grabbing anything and and listening to it...u'd be surprised what u can find....
but...i'll help you out alittle....cause i don't wanna be a ******* or anything...look for "Alan Parsons Project"...this band is pretty dope...go and dig!!!!! and DIG!!!!!!!!! trust me....the feeling that u get is much better when u have no idea what a record has....and when u play it...and u find dope samples....goodluck amigo

usually i go to the stores and look for some records. Another thing that you can do is, open up itunes and go to the radio tab. In the different stations, they have an entire 80's flashback section. Try that. The only problem is that they dont put the names of the songs up. But if you have an itouch or iphone, you can use the Shazam app to identify the songs. Also, you could try to youtube Top 80's songs. Good luck with everything.

For a unique sound your probably going to look for some less known albums. Also, you should get a feel for the cover art. Is it bright? Does it look like it's for a depressed kid or an old father? Does the name of the artist give away any clues as to what kind of feeling the music may have? You should probably look at the song titles as well, and even the length of the songs if listed. If the song is ten minutes long or something lengthy, it's probably mellow and slow or atleast has some slow parts in it. If the song title represents an emotion (love,sad,fun), than the song will either have alot of lyrics or no lyrics at all.

You just have to put a bunch of factors together. I recommend you try your hand in using the itunes preview feature. You can just record the audio from some itune previews, and see how your guessing game has improved.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back