Finding sounds, that go together

Juelz Vice

Hi,

i'd like to know, how you guys go about finding the right sounds for a beat? Sounds that go together and complement each other?

I'm finding it hard to find the matching sounds lately. People tell me, that the melodies sound good, but my choices i make concerning the sounds are not always good. :hmmm:

I'd like to hear you guys opinion on this topic.

Thanks

Honestly I feel like any sound can go together with any other sound. It's really how you mix the sounds though. For example, you can have two pads with full grasp of the frequency sprectrum, you would eq out the bass for one of them and maybe even lower one in volume. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? So someone might mix it totally different. Don't forget though that mixing sounds does start from sound selection.

Yeah, i also thought that it's a matter of mixing, but that can't be everything right? How do you go about your choice of sounds when you start? Do you already have an idea in your head when you start or do you start with clicking random sounds in your library?

Last edited:
Well first, I have to decide what genre I'm trying to create, If I'm making a trap beat, I would go for sounds that have been used in trap beats for in the last decade. Like the hard trap snare, synthesized short hi hat or a really punchy kick. Oh and don't forget about that famous 808 bass.

On the other hand if I'm making an rnb or a pop track, I would use a softer and more realistic snare, a realistic closed hat, etc.

For something like funk, the wow sound/effect is made using a moving filter. If you don't have a sound that does that then it's not really funk.

Now there's nothing wrong with randomly finding different sounds, that's just part of experimenting as a music producer.
You can do whatever you want, but try to always have an intent, an idea of what genre or sound you are trying to create.

Hope that helps.

you really just got to experiment man. a lot of the time im just clicking around my library looking for something that'll fit. other times i know instantly that this sections needs a guitar, this needs an extra snare hit etc.... And like someone else was saying above, any sound can go with any other sound!

Back