Finding pitch and key of a sample

GeniusTheAnimal

Hey, I've got a question for all. What methods are available for finding the key and pitch of a sample, other than trial and error? I'm pretty heavily a sample-based producer, but I'd like to start layering some other ambient sounds and instruments along with the sample (original basslines, horns, orchestral arrangements, strings, etc). For this, I know its imperative to know the key and pitch of a sample so that things sound congruent. Any ways you guys feel like sharing?

Hey, I've got a question for all. What methods are available for finding the key and pitch of a sample, other than trial and error? I'm pretty heavily a sample-based producer, but I'd like to start layering some other ambient sounds and instruments along with the sample (original basslines, horns, orchestral arrangements, strings, etc). For this, I know its imperative to know the key and pitch of a sample so that things sound congruent. Any ways you guys feel like sharing?
This gets asked quite a bit, so I'll copy and paste an answer I gave on how I find which notes fit the sample a few months back.

so_r3as0nabl3 said:
The most efficient way for me is to use a Saw Lead and try and catch the notes (with a Saw Lead, it sounds really off when the notes don't match), or open up a VST using a sound similar to the one in the sample (i.e., if it's a sample with a Piano, open a Piano patch and try and match the notes that way).

Using your ears, sorry but there's no simpler method. I guess some people are more musically inclined than others, but if you can't hear when something is off key or out of pitch and time, you're going to really struggle.

Using your ears, sorry but there's no simpler method. I guess some people are more musically inclined than others, but if you can't hear when something is off key or out of pitch and time, you're going to really struggle.

Yes, unless the author of this thread learns to tune his ear. Get some Ear Training/Music Theory Lessons and you should be fine. Also learning how to play the piano helps a LOT!

yup.

Its really not hard, well for me cos i been messing with music theory for a few years but you could jus keep hittin the keys till you find that root note.

Google an fx plugin called c tuner.I started using it this week and its pretty useful for finding root notes.especially when u want to Tune ur drums or have sampled one shot bass and instrument notes

Back