finding jazz to sample

loop_digga

any of you guys sample jazz in your beats? what artists do you like to use/how do you find it? i don't have a huge knowledge of jazz artists at the moment. I want to try and get that old school tribe called quest type sound.

Time-Life have a good jazz cd collection you can use as well.

But seriously go to google, type in jazz 1940's, jazz 1950's, jazz 1960's, jazz 1970's etc and see what pops up too many artists and to little time.

you might also check into Ken Burns' Jazz documentary and the accompanying cds and dvds.

You can start with Freddie Hubbard, George Benson, Stanley Turrentine and Deodato. And spiral out from there.
I'd recommend CTI Records in general. And keeping an eye out for some other labels such as Blue Note, Prestige and Atlantic (although it isn't all about jazz, but still got a lot of solid jazz releases).

Also, I'd suggest doing your homework, so you'll recognice names when you are in the field. This is one good source: Explore: Jazz | AllMusic.

I would try to learn more about the record labels. Look into Blue Note for example you can see what session musicians they use and then look for their work and keep doing that till you find some rare gems.

I just finished taking Jazz History last semester and man there are so many artist to name. Get the book, "The History of Jazz" 2nd edition by Ted Gioia and in the index you have artist from A-Z from the 1940's to the present...Enjoy!

I just finished taking Jazz History last semester and man there are so many artist to name. Get the book, "The History of Jazz" 2nd edition by Ted Gioia and in the index you have artist from A-Z from the 1940's to the present...Enjoy!

The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz is also a nice reference book in the same vein, listing artists from A to Z with their biographys and discographys. IMHO the books are hardly needed to get into jazz, but they can be nice for collectors/enthusiastics.

these entries only gave resources. Here's some artists and band leaders to check out.
Miles Davis. Anything he's done is fantastic.
John Coltrane. If you can sample his shit, you have me.
Duke Ellington. For big band shit and what not
Thelonious Monk. Great Pianist, with really neat chords and what not
Wes Montgomery. guitar player
Wayne Shorter. Like Coltrane, a genius
Charlie Parker. Alto player, known for be bop
Chic Corea - Madlib loves his shit
Return to Forever - Chic corea's band along with...
Stanley Clarke - interesting fusion
Herbie Hancock. Legend.
Tony Williams. Insane drummer.

Check these dudes out. Great shit, and tons of sampling ideas.
Need any album names? PM me.

You can just go to youtube and type in Smooth jazz on the search and find some music like that. Its what i always did but i think going to a music store would be a really good idea and it kind of depends what type of jazz you want cuase there are different genres

Also, try checking out Stan Getz and Chuck Mangione, then branch out to similar artists. I love Stan Getz.

I dont really know of that many artists just songs and i dont even know the names of them either just ones that sound all good to me

check out what producers ahve done with jazz records in the past, for example Hank Crawford's Wildflower or Ye's Drive Slow
and then figure what works and what doesnt

Back