Field Recording

OriginalSoulboy

Does anyone know of a good solution for making reasonable quality recordings. Crowd noises, traffic sounds, bashing things for weird percussion samples etc I'm talking about not spending £150 plus on a digital field recorder. I could walk around with my laptop and a mic but not the most practical solution.

Yeah I have some ideas. I spoke to my friend who's a reporter for the BBC and he gave me some things to look out for second hand. Tbh I'm not THAT bothered about less than perfect sound quality as I make hip hop and like to make some tracks sound a bit lo-fi anyway. Prob the best solution for making weird percussion sounds is to do it at home. Just need a mic and a midi interface which are on my 'to buy' list anyway.

A cheap microphone and like the poster above me said, just doing it from home. You could always take your laptop with you and sit somewhere to get crowd/traffic field recordings.

Thanks mate. I live on the coast and the beach is only 2 mins walk so I had ideas about sampling various sounds with pebbles but being England in winter it's not the weather for it anyway. Once I get a decent mic and midi interface then I'll sample weird percussion sounds inside and mess about with them with a drum sampler. Those two recorders mentioned are reasonably priced in the UK and seem to get decent reviews but it's more something I'd do in the summer so no rush and I can see if anything better comes up second hand in the meantime. If I take my laptop outside at the moment it will probably get soaked as the weather is so weird. As I've never been in a band (although half my friends have) there's a great shop in town that sells everything so I'm sure they can give me good advise on what sort of mic I need.

Back