Favorite Groups to Sample?

Some of my favs are Bobby Womack, Curtis Mayfield, Tim McGraw, Bob James just to name a few.

I sample a lot of classical stuff too and random instrumentals that i dont know the name of!

Good thread by the way, interesting to see what other cats be flipping!

SP

big timothy said:
They're a good band to just listen to as well.

But I don't really have a favorite group to sample to be honest. I'm more of a chill in a thrift/record shop and check out the covers for labels/dates/pictures. If it looks cool, I'll snatch it. I look for all types of different genres too, which makes for an extremely varied collection lol.

What do heads know about the Butterfly? I love it man just when you think you about to blow someone's mind someone knows what you talkin about. There organ man and basist are sick! My favorite joint is her favorite style.

big timothy said:
They're a good band to just listen to as well.

But I don't really have a favorite group to sample to be honest. I'm more of a chill in a thrift/record shop and check out the covers for labels/dates/pictures. If it looks cool, I'll snatch it. I look for all types of different genres too, which makes for an extremely varied collection lol.
Yeah, I play their sh*t too. Sometimes I'll be on a sample hunt on one of their records and just end up zoning out and listening to the entire LP! It ends up relaxing the hell out of me........I also try to switch up genres. The only thing I detest sampling is sh*t from the 80's cause that's when many artists started using drum machines(I'm sure many will dissagree).

Bob Marley, The Band (not P-Diddy's), Herb Alpret (the ealry stuff), Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Minnie Ripperton, Spirit, Main Ingredient, Buddy Miles, The Meters, Jery Butler, Rufus Thomas, Joe Tex, P-FUnk, Ohio Players, Norman Conners, New Birth, WAR, Lee Dorsey, Brick, Bar-Kays, Johnny Guitar Watson, Soul Generation, and any thing foreign just to name a few. Well, actually, I've only sampled a couple, Basically I've been building a collection of their music and doing a lot of listening.

Last edited:
I remember sampling almost entire albums by Dennis Brown and The Scientist, so they may be good ones for people to look at.

Last edited:
Gee-Whiz said:
What do heads know about the Butterfly? I love it man just when you think you about to blow someone's mind someone knows what you talkin about. There organ man and basist are sick! My favorite joint is her favorite style.

Yeah definitely good musicians. Her Favorite Style is on the intro of The Choice Is Yours (Revisited), too. I never would have thought to flip that part like that. Realy dope.

basixx said:
The only thing I detest sampling is sh*t from the 80's cause that's when many artists started using drum machines(I'm sure many will dissagree).

Na I have to agree with you there. I could never bring myself to take something from anywhere later than '79. It's just too damn cheesy to me. It seems really lazy as well.

big timothy said:
Yeah definitely good musicians. Her Favorite Style is on the intro of The Choice Is Yours (Revisited), too. I never would have thought to flip that part like that. Realy dope.

Na I have to agree with you there. I could never bring myself to take something from anywhere later than '79. It's just too damn cheesy to me. It seems really lazy as well.

That's what I'm tellin' you man. I can't stand to sample sh*t from the 80's. The word "detest" means hate.

No underground samplists? I like Sonic Youth (endless amounts of weird guitar tones), the Melvins (same as SY, but with the best drummer ever), and Modest Mouse (I can take a sample from damn near every song on Lonesome Crowded West).

Iron Butterfly and Black Sabbath are awesome sources, too. Anyone ever juggle (you DJs out there) "The Wizard" or "Behind the Wall of Sleep"? Gets all the girls hot, even when they don't know what drum juggling is. You guys into that (basixxx and big_timothy and whoever else) should check out Hawkwind. They're REALLY weird. Oh yeah, mad props to whoever mentioned Zappa!

Earl Van Dyke. If you don't have the Duke of Funk album that **** is dope. It's just a full album of live recorded soul instrumentals.

Gee-Whiz said:
True. You ever hear how 9th chopped and flipped on the last MURS joint? So ill. That goes out to the heads on the 9th drums thread too check that beat before you try to downgrade 9th lik he's garbage (I'm tellin' you ni%%@s dun lost they mind)

Whiz

Yeah, 9th killed it!!! I like the way he freaked the original drums. Everybody's trying to knock 9th because he uses the same snares and kicks on a lot of tracks. I could care less he's still dope!!! I mean, he's doing more with Fruity Loops than most cats do with an MPC!!!

www.myspace.com/mosaicmovementz

One can never go wrong with chopping the hell out of a Dramatics record.Smokey Robinson also has beautiful parts to chop up and make your own **** with it.I don't have it set at one particular type of group or particular type of music that way I can get the full spectrum of this music ****.I'll sample from the most popular group to the most miniscule unknown.

Back