Favorite genre to sample

I have my gotos: Soul, Jazz, and Funk.

BUT I also like picking up random records from any genre and seeing what I can do.
Most of the time there's really not too much heat on 'em but every once in a while I'll be surprised what I find.

My local record shop (vinyl) is pretty small - I hit the soul section first - always; then on to the Jazz boxes - funk is split between those two sections; from there the (small) 'world music' section and finally the AtoZ of rock/pop which is the majority of the store.

Movie soundtracks... often straight from the film itself, with the added ambience.. Especially on older movies there can be really cool sound effects, like the foley... and often sparse instrumentation that's easy to separate. Another thing movies do which you won't regularly find in normal song is repeating variations of similar motifs. So if you're sampling a nice guitar progression here, might be you can find it again with a different instrument, intensity or even a totally different vibes. Movie composers are often constantly referencing sounds and motifs they establish early on. A melody used in a tense action scene, might be hinted at much later on when the heroes are lounging on the beach in Copacabana. Except now its a super laidback bossa tune.

They also tend to make music that needs to get it's point across instantly, while not over powering the action on screen... another quality that makes it great for sampling.

Sampling old movies or show is great mainly cause that sound is no longer around i love sampling that also 4sure

SOME OF MY FAVS:

I love 60's and 70's rock music for odd sounding guitars and vibes. 70's rock music had really good baseline grooves which I replay and manipulate.

I like 70's Soul/RnB for vocal samples.

I like 80's pop for retro sounds to manipulate

Last edited:
I like sampling Game Boy SFX!!!!?!?!???
(Does that count??) i Guess it could be called chiptune...

PEAS!

Last edited:
hell yea! game boy or nes tracks are the hardest to sample most of em sound horrible to sample but there are sum you can use you gotta do sum diggin though

I love sampling soul, funk and jazz music (polish samples are dope) from years 70's and 80's.
Soul for vocals and melancholic loops, funk for drums and jazz for trumpets, sax, etc.

Back