Favorite DAW for sampling?

Tallen

The Beatsmith
Any DAW that is aimed towards audio or just overall a better "production" daw?

No biased opinions please. ;P

I've heard a lot a buzz about ableton.

It's not considered by many to be a full fledged DAW but Maschine is the go to for sampling. Or i just use SliceX in Fl studio.

I've been trying to figure out FL Studio and the FPC. I understand how to chop samples up and stuff but when it comes to time stretching the samples to match the tempo dear God.. I get how to time stretch if I'm looping but when I'm chopping.. dear God.

if i'm chopping in fl studio i never use the FPC. I use SliceX. it assigns each chop to keys or pads and you can assign each chop to its own mixer channel for further processing. as far as making everything line up. when your chopping multiple samples you just have to make sure your chopping on the beats and also know what time signature its in. if it sounds a little off i use the timestretch function in SliceX to get it as close as i can to make it sound good. also to further clean things up i might add a little reverb and delay to make it sound a little more cohesive. On a side note maschine has a function for timestretch where you can type in the tempo and it will stretch it for you to match the tempo.

I've been trying to figure out FL Studio and the FPC. I understand how to chop samples up and stuff but when it comes to time stretching the samples to match the tempo dear God.. I get how to time stretch if I'm looping but when I'm chopping.. dear God.

yeah. that's why I only use slicex if I'm keeping the tempo the same. otherwise I create the samples in the playlist then save those. then lay the sample pattern in the step sequencer.

I really like sampling with Maschine. Its not a DAW but its the best sampler I have ever used in the software world and it can run stand alone or as a vst. Ableton Live has a lot of good features for sampling but I do not like the gui on Live devices personally. A lot of people swear by FL Studio for sampling but I don't like FL studio at all.

Not really a D.A.W. per say but SoundForge is the best audio editor i've ever used.
Whether i load a track or sample it,it all goes to SoundForge first.

Apply effects,timestretch,chop (etc.),then load them into MPC Editor or another D.A.W and i'm ready to go.

all the DAWs out can sample. what sets them apart is what you can do after. most people sample and the next logical progression is to chop and get the chopped samples onto pads or keys. some DAW's are good at that, others or not. so much that they make 3rd party tools for the job (kontakt, recyle, etc).

also the different daws have other features for other functionality such as recording, music production, mixing and mastering. things like included plugins and instruments, midi editing, audio editing, etc. there's also the workflow of how all these things get done.

i've used cubase, logic, pro tools, reaper, live fl studio and reason. i've always been anti-pro tools because i always believed that you didn't have to spend 5k on soundcard to make good music. but pro tools make sense if you are a engineer and for its mixing/mastering workflow. not to say you couldn't do the same in cubase or logic. you can do everything in any one of the DAWs i mentioned. the difference will really be the ease of use.

that being said my favorite daw is logic because of its 64 bit support, advanced midi editing, advanced automation and overall useability. i love cubase a little bit more but i stopped using it once i made my main workstation the macbook pro. i still use it tho. Live would be my 2nd choice and bringing up the rear is is pro tools.

as far as speed is concerned nothing can beat fl studio and live for sampling and quickly putting down a rough idea.

Reason is absolute beast with sampling. Its always a matter of opinion, and personal skill level whats working 4 U!. The reason i stand by Reason is because its what i started with, now i "master" it and therefor i KNOW its absolutely beast, with sampling! Im doing complex sampling, using recycle. Slicing a couple of songs there, while im in Reason. then load the rexfile straight after. Easy, done in a minute. And dr.rex player works like a mpc. Turn the release all up, polyphony set to 1 and you good to go. You can tune and pitch, experiment as you want. Its always possible to find ways to do what you want. Workflow allows the feeling of being creative to be at its peak all the time. Never gets boring, if you like what your doing. I advise to check it out, borrow it from someone or somthin a couple of months and, give it a real go, and then buy or try something else.

The only thing it cannot do well. Is SIMPLE timestretching. I guess they will fix it someday soon, at least i hope. Thats the only thing you cant do easely, unless you (like someone said) load the audio file then in edit mode you can timestretch the part you want. Then solo and export the audio again, and re-slice it in recycle before bringing it back in to the dr.octo rex 4 that mpc feel, ready to bang on them pads. So it works. I just never take the time + i have to find out what parts i want to slice beforehand which can be a drag, if you want to change something afterwords, its a looong prosess of redoing, and deleting. And that can happen again to..

What we all Should do, is write Propellorheads a mail, that we all want Recycle as a new Rack-extension .. as a creative fx to compliment dr.octo rex. And this time, with REAL timestretch.

Another thing that should be possible was to route the audio of each singular slice to a mixer. That way we would have more possibilities. I Mean to route out just the parts you want, ex if you want to add effects to a single slice, you can do that. but still when your doing the mixing the sample all slices will be affected like it is now. Just a thought.

Reason ftw btw. It can do almost everything. And it just grows bigger every minute. These rack-extentions make this the best daw EVER! follow the trend yall. its good

Back