Favorite DAW for sampling?

I used to use Recycle with Reason+DrOctorex mainly but since I got a maschine mkII I have been using it for everything from chopping songs down to the minimalist of samples without ever touching my mouse or keyboard. come to think of it I don't even use my computer monitor at all sometimes.

Ableton is the bomb man...warping can be kind of annoying and I get that. But the possibilities are endless...drum racks are from heaven. Hot-swap mode is insane too if you are more on the production side you can literally fly through your sample library and find the perfect sample for your sections. But the warping and stretching and now audio to midi? *splurges*

Reason is absolute beast with sampling. Its always a matter of opinion, and personal skill level whats working 4 U!. The reason i stand by Reason is because its what i started with, now i "master" it and therefor i KNOW its absolutely beast, with sampling! Im doing complex sampling, using recycle. Slicing a couple of songs there, while im in Reason. then load the rexfile straight after. Easy, done in a minute. And dr.rex player works like a mpc. Turn the release all up, polyphony set to 1 and you good to go. You can tune and pitch, experiment as you want. Its always possible to find ways to do what you want. Workflow allows the feeling of being creative to be at its peak all the time. Never gets boring, if you like what your doing. I advise to check it out, borrow it from someone or somthin a couple of months and, give it a real go, and then buy or try something else.

The only thing it cannot do well. Is SIMPLE timestretching. I guess they will fix it someday soon, at least i hope. Thats the only thing you cant do easely, unless you (like someone said) load the audio file then in edit mode you can timestretch the part you want. Then solo and export the audio again, and re-slice it in recycle before bringing it back in to the dr.octo rex 4 that mpc feel, ready to bang on them pads. So it works. I just never take the time + i have to find out what parts i want to slice beforehand which can be a drag, if you want to change something afterwords, its a looong prosess of redoing, and deleting. And that can happen again to..

What we all Should do, is write Propellorheads a mail, that we all want Recycle as a new Rack-extension .. as a creative fx to compliment dr.octo rex. And this time, with REAL timestretch.

Another thing that should be possible was to route the audio of each singular slice to a mixer. That way we would have more possibilities. I Mean to route out just the parts you want, ex if you want to add effects to a single slice, you can do that. but still when your doing the mixing the sample all slices will be affected like it is now. Just a thought.

Reason ftw btw. It can do almost everything. And it just grows bigger every minute. These rack-extentions make this the best daw EVER! follow the trend yall. its good
Are you on Reason 6? Time stretching can't get much easier than that. I personally stopped sampling in Reason a while ago because after using it for sampling for 8 years I found that there were much better options out there for sampling in the software world. Stuff like Geist, Live, FL Studio, Maschine and the Mpc ren are all much better at sampling than Reason is though Reason 6 or Reason + Record made sampling much less of a headache.

Yeah, im using Reason 6. Since you used it so long, you probably did benefit from trying out somthing else. I think Recycle+dr.rex is pretty simple for what im doing. Its actually almost perfect, i only wish i could have the opinion of timestretch each individual slice. Recycle should have a "Grab&mark slice" button, so you could adjust both pitch, timestretching and everything as you wanted, on the go. I do not use loops, i only chop bits, so for what im doing its really good. But sometimes, you need to time things better, and thats what the timestretch is for soo, i really hope they will fix this. I see no reason why they cannot integrate timestretching in rex-format, like i said maybe as a rack-extention.

As far as the timestretch in Reason, yeah its quick when you know how to do it, but you still have to export each slice and all, which is a load of work really. (unless you just place the audio manually in the arranger window. i like using midi for that tho, so i can play with it) I dont like using kong, or redrum, or nnxt for bangin out samples. I think you got more control with the dr.rex, or maybe i just like it better.

Any spesific really dope things you can get to sound amazing with lets say Ableton Live?

Btw, im getting a Maschine when its time for it. But for now, my skills keep getting better with Reason. So i have to stand behind it for what it is.

Ableton is the bomb man...warping can be kind of annoying and I get that. But the possibilities are endless...drum racks are from heaven. Hot-swap mode is insane too if you are more on the production side you can literally fly through your sample library and find the perfect sample for your sections. But the warping and stretching and now audio to midi? *splurges*

i really need to get my hands and feet dirty with ableton 9...

Yeah, im using Reason 6. Since you used it so long, you probably did benefit from trying out somthing else. I think Recycle+dr.rex is pretty simple for what im doing. Its actually almost perfect, i only wish i could have the opinion of timestretch each individual slice. Recycle should have a "Grab&mark slice" button, so you could adjust both pitch, timestretching and everything as you wanted, on the go. I do not use loops, i only chop bits, so for what im doing its really good. But sometimes, you need to time things better, and thats what the timestretch is for soo, i really hope they will fix this. I see no reason why they cannot integrate timestretching in rex-format, like i said maybe as a rack-extention.

As far as the timestretch in Reason, yeah its quick when you know how to do it, but you still have to export each slice and all, which is a load of work really. (unless you just place the audio manually in the arranger window. i like using midi for that tho, so i can play with it) I dont like using kong, or redrum, or nnxt for bangin out samples. I think you got more control with the dr.rex, or maybe i just like it better.

Any spesific really dope things you can get to sound amazing with lets say Ableton Live?

Btw, im getting a Maschine when its time for it. But for now, my skills keep getting better with Reason. So i have to stand behind it for what it is.
Rack extensions are for processing tools and instruments you aren't going to get a time stretch module. And I highly doubt Recycle will get any new mind blowing features considering its not really been changed in 10 years. They have done 2 or 3 minor free updates since I bought it in 2003. Its a large part of why I sold my copy when I got Maschine because Maschine does everything Reason can sampling wise plus some in half the time. Plus it can read and reslice rex files. I personally don't like changing my gear a lot if something works for me it works and I will stick with it but Reason's way of sampling is really showing its age. And to export all those samples fast just do a select all or highlight each chop and right click bounce to sample window then open the sampler u want to use go to the unused samples folder select all and they all get imported when u get to the nnxt right click to automap the samples. its a long process but the process of sampling in Reason is long. That method is still much faster than Recycle though.

I see what your saying. Im sticking with Reason for now, because it works very quick and well, but as i said, im going to buy Maschine later on, so i can switch between the two. Then we shall see what works best =) But really, using Recycle 4 simply slicing purposes (without stretching) is the fastest way to get about it man, seriously. It takes literally 2 minutes if the song is about 20 seconds. Thats fast enough for me. And load it up in the dr.rex, and you good. Its that quick.

But I know.. as you say, Reason is kiiiinda outdated maybe on the sampling part, I can agree. And especially Recycle. Wasn't it even out of "production" for a while there? Anyway, as you can see Propellorheads probably have made somewhat their Final version of the Daw. And it keeps getting better and better all the time, with the rack-extentions and all, so i dont see why they wouldn't bring in some kind of Recycle-extention with the timestretch. I mean, if they did, sooo many people would buy Reason. And it could be done, very easily too. What i say is if they make a super-sampling-slicing engin inside Reason, they WOULD compete with Maschine and such. I would love it. Anyways im rambling on. Every daw is just about taste and matter in the end. Good luck to the threadopener.

i use reason and its kind of a pain in the ass, but ive been using soundfonts lately so i dont have to worry about time shifting.

I'm using ableton live, and I love it! I know it's not the most "Popular" DAW out there but I think people over look it's potential for sure. It's whatever suites you best :) God Bless y'all!

Back