Every one please answer with tips.:)

Hey i got a simple question for the producers who sample im trying not to loop so much so my question is when you chop pieces how do you get uneven chops to fit and play nice with each other?? any tips or trick on sampling would be great..=]

I do cuts manually in cubase audio tracks. Then just keep moving them around until it sounds right. Kind of a broad question though. There's so many ways to go about doing this.

something you can try is set your sampler to only play one sample at a time (polyphonic set to 1) then set the release all the way up. this is how i usually work you can get a funky groove going by just hitting the samples, keep playing around and eventually you will get a good groove going, put on your metronome and just go to town. this is what i call "flipping" because rarely just let a sample loop unless its just SUPER ILL!!! this way i disguise what i'm sampling and truly create a new sound, im not trying to pay for clearance f!#k that. I will make a beat making video this weekend showing this technique.
hope this helps.
-TENGU

If you're really trying to learn, start simple. That 5th seal vlog you posted, that's a pretty simple chopped beat. By simple I just mean the song you're sampling generally stays in 4/4 time. Sampling stuff out of 4/4 is going to make it harder (especially if it has a real drum presence to it), but basically with 4/4, when just starting out sampling, you can pretty easily chop on each beat in the song. Meaning, you can either chop a measure into 2, 4, 8 etc. parts (generally no more than that).

From there you can try and switch it up and experiment with different chop points. Good luck!

Back