Ever jump back and forth on diff. styles of beats?

H

hart36

i dunno bout yall but sometimes i struggle to stay on one genre/style of beatmaking. i personally enjoy many styles for instance i love listening to necro cage and ill bill, and sometimes i just feel like making plain dirty beats, sometimes ill be bumping damu, pete or dilla and i feel like making some jazzy or alternative ish, or maybe even hear some m-phazes and stuff and i just get amped to make some hard hitting beats. what im saying is that i dont try to copy them, they sometimes just make me really amped to make those styles. and while maybes it not such a bad thing making all those styles of beats, sometimes its nice to stay and work on a specific style, which also in a way gives a bit of a personal style which people could recognize you, what you guys think? do you cats experience this? peace

oh for sure man, whats funny is i enjoy all the dudes you mentioned so sometimes ill make some rugged shit, other times ill make that smooth type shit. I almost tend to go through phases or periods though rather than jump back and forth all the time it seems.

I play with other styles but I am really kinda a one trick pony in that way. I mean I can do other kinds of music but I am not really as good at it as I am with more classic styles of boom bap. I think it also comes from me not trying to model myself until I was 5 or 6 years into production. I didn't even understand other styles i just made shit I thought was dope. q

Yeah i know exactly what youre talkin about, i do it all the time. I usually make underground AOTP style beats, but lately i've been tryin to also get more into soul and jazz samples. I'm not too good at it though, cause i haven't been into it too much before, but i wanna get better at it. Even though i also think about the signature sound thing, it's cool to be able to have some variety in the style of beats.

Yeah i know exactly what youre talkin about, i do it all the time. I usually make underground AOTP style beats, but lately i've been tryin to also get more into soul and jazz samples. I'm not too good at it though, cause i haven't been into it too much before, but i wanna get better at it. Even though i also think about the signature sound thing, it's cool to be able to have some variety in the style of beats.

word. completely agree. you cant help but wanna try bust out a jazzy beat after youve peeped grap luvas 7 minutes of sound!!

Same here always jumping between the beat styles, sometimes I like to listen to dancehall, sometimes even house and then back to trap music lol

the beatstyle I'm making depends on my mood I guess

In my opinion it's a gift and a curse if you're always switching between styles

one sise you have a larger variety you're flexible, and maybe you're even able to combine to styles you know?

on the other hand no one can really identify you with one style of music. I mean people wouldn't say: 'hey I need a jazzy tune so heart36 will be the man I have to get my beats from' ( no offence) but I hope you understand what I'm tryin to say?

yes i understand exactly what your saying... i mentioned that originally... its definitely has its blessings and curses cos your more flexible on your sampling but on the other hand you need a signature sound as well

Whatever you do... it's ****ed up

If you stay true to your style people will say 'AAH **** HIM HE ALWAYS SOUND THE SAME'

If you're always on some shit people will say 'AAH **** HIM HIS SHIT SOUNDS SO RANDOM'

haha

just do whatever feels right to you I guess

Yeahh I always do. I'm always going through different 'phases' where I make maybe 4-5 beats of a similar genre. A few weeks ago it was rnb beats, now its Club single type beats, next it'll probably be dark hip hop or something. But i'm lucky I do that because over the years it's made me versatile and spread my understanding of different types of music.

All the types of music I switch to and from are within Urban and Pop (and sometimes dance) though, I never wake up and feel like making country music.

Back