Ever Flip The Same Sample More Than once?

yes..i recently came across a sample that I want to make a whole "beat tape" using the same sample 10 different days..might do it someday

Since someone mentioned RZA earlier, I thought I'd say, he uses the same kung fu samples in a variety of songs, I can't remember any off hand but the tiny snippet at the end of protect your neck after the line "and let's have a mudfight", I've heard that in a fair few of his productions. I do it myself sometimes, it's nice having a signature little speech sample or something, ties things together.

I've done it a couple a times, with some Santigold samples and a sample frome the 400 blows. Each time the second beats is better. Kinda makes me think that I'mn getting better at beat making

yes..i recently came across a sample that I want to make a whole "beat tape" using the same sample 10 different days..might do it someday
I thought about that with a 13 minute jazz sample. I didn't do it and now I forgot the name of the sample. That was in my early stages so I had no idea where to start

Do it quite a lot, as when I make a beat I come up with different chops and ideas that always end up as separate beats.
I find it enlightening that you can make so many different sounding tracks out of the same sample.

I just did it with a sample I found yesterday. I chopped it super fine yesterday and didnt like the results. I simplified it today and made larger chops, 10x's better. Simplicity can be the key.

I change the key of samples all the time. I don't look at samples as what they are but rather what they can be. I find creativity in limitation with all things including samples.

I was talking more along the lines of a loop, or at the very least a sample that has 2 or more notes.

Even then you're still limited as to which keys because in some of those keys one or both notes will be dissonant.

I was talking more along the lines of a loop, or at the very least a sample that has 2 or more notes.

Even then you're still limited as to which keys because in some of those keys one or both notes will be dissonant.

its all about how u chop it up. i was talking loops too.

There's a couple sample that I keep revisiting, because I think they're gold and I haven't flipped them well enough yet. Each time I've reflipped them, they've usually gotten better in my opinion, but definitely different as well.

Yeah, especially in the same song: Intro, Verse, Hook, Outro!!

Some of my favorite samples I've flipped about 5 or 6 times. Each time I challenge myself to make it different & better then the last.

Sometimes i flip a sample, and then when its finished i keep on playing with the sample and i create a totally different sounding vibe.. so you can flip a sample as many times as you want

I always sample something more than once, being as tho im sampling for the sound, and not just the melody. Ive sampled "funky worm" a thousand times, but ill filter it and only use the synth (pitching & note bending), which makes it my own little synth or piano sound. Same thing with the beginning keys in kanye's runaway. Hell listen to watch the throne, they used that james brown vocal sample throught the whole album, check the drums on biggie's "life after death" album, it's mostly al green's "im so glad your mine".

If I can the why the hell wouldn't I?

Sometimes songs change half way through or sometimes you listen to something you've sampled before and you're like "Damn, I shouldve done it this way" or you hear something else you like.

Or sometimes, when I know some of my old prechopped samples really well, I often incorporate them into new beats (Stabs, vocals, instruments and what not)

Back