Eq'ing Samples. and other sampling techniques

Twisty

Hey all,

I haven't really used samples when making beats, lately though I've been on a tribute kick where I've been sampling certain songs I really like or chopping inserts from movies or interviews and dropping them in songs. I was interested in how other's go about with EQ'ing their samples into their tracks, making space for their sample to come out clean when playing with their beat etc. I understand lots of producers like to keep their tricks to themselves, but for those that want to share their opinion here's the place to do it.

I've never used big samples but I've got a lot of FX and string sounds or hits from movies and other albums by chopping the sound and cleaning it up, or chopped inserts from interviews to make sound tags etc.

Just use the search feature... this forum is full of tips. There really are no secrets or unheard of tips. If you know how to use EQ you know how to use EQ

Each is going to be different and depending on the idea you have for the track you might need to Filter out the hi mid or lows or you might need to each something out of the sample at a certain frequency.

again if you really understand EQ then the rest becomes common sense (asfar as applying it)

Obviously if the sample has too much bass that conflicts with your own bass you are going to want to filter than freq out... common sense things.

If you have specific (no vague) questions ask away we will help.

Back