Emulating physical crate digging?

plotneezy

Hello! This may be a dumb question, but whatever, I'm asking it. O.k., I'm a producer who uses a lot of samples, but I'm also 14 and come from a family who, well, let's just say they're not big fans of what I do. Anyways, I say this because I really want to go and dig for samples at a record store, but my parents refuse to drive me, and there's no way that I can think of to get them, or even money for them (no lunch money, private school, no allowance either), so I can't really go digging. I e-dig, whether it be watching crate diggers on fuse, looking up their records on Soulseek, Youtube digging, music blogs, searching Discogs, but none of it really satisfies me, I just love the look and feel of vinyl (I had a friend who moved away, but he DJed and gave me a record before he left), so how can I emulate the kind of random, blind searching of going crate digging? I know I can't really do this, but any way to get closer would be nice!

if you want a blind search for music, search foreign music or just a broad genre ,Like 70's rock, and pick some random names, and sample that from you tube

#1 tip... more places than record stores sell records. Hit up thrift stores, salvation army, goodwill, etc. You can get albums for a dollar or less. Also, if you have public transit, then take advantage of that.

As for your topic... nothing will simulate it imo. eDigging is just too musical. It sounds dumb, but there's something to be said about going to a record store or goodwill, and just going over hundreds of albums, looking at the covers, the album notes, the instrument credits, and the albums themselves. All while having no playback of the records. I'm far from a vinyl purist (started sampling by recording classic jazz/orchestra music on the radio to cassette tapes overnight, then messing with MP3s, now doing vinyl and MP3s) but there's a very physical and completely non-musical thing going on when you're digging through record crates.

To me eDigging is more like what happens once you have albums and you put them on the turntable to see what you've got. Instant playback makes it more of a utility and you're cutting out a lot of the process. To make an analogy, eDigging is like seeing what you have in the fridge, then going online to find recipes to make with what you have, then you cook. Digging is like actually going to the farmer's market, looking at the fish and produce, talking with the butcher about good cuts of meat, putting your hands on the vegetables to find what you hope will be the best ones... then coming home, going online, and finding a recipe to cook. Half of the process is completely removed.

google "milk crate breaks blogspot", they got a great selection for e-digging. and try to find any other blogspots that help you out, not just with links, but info and reviews too on records.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I would give a link but I don't have enough posts yet, I'm about to bombard some useless thread with some posts to reach 20.

but there were a lot of good blogspots before, try to search jazz/funk/soul and blogspot on google and see what comes up. also try to search for things like "Japanese Jazz", "Italian Classical Music", "Indian 1960", random words might give u that random crate digging feel, not really but the point is to find and make crazy shit, isn't it?

ok lets be clear there is nothing random about e diggin hahaha its like going to a whore house to find a virgin guess what they're all whores !!! LOL nothing is like getting your hands dirty as that is still a main part of the culture that will never fade no matter what some folks might say. this is hip hop and yes we use any and everything but there has to be some sort of unwritten rules I mean we dont tend to call it biting anymore when someone cops your style or swag as its called today but some things never change.To the OP if your peopole dont like what you do maybe you can find a mentor that can act as a go between you and your parents some one that can explain that doing music production or being a dj is not the worst thing that a 14teen year old could be doing and perhaps with a little more encouragement you might be able to become good at it given the chance.There is still gold in them dar hills but you have to have the right equipment in order to mine it peoperly.Im not sure where you're from but there should be some places that are local enough that you can get to if you have friends that drive. just remember what mike said " EVERYBODY LOVES A STAR WHEN HE'S ON THE TOP" but what ever you do make music and have fun... need support PM me always willing to help...

Last edited:
if you can't go digging and you want to search for random songs to sample, then i think you should spend your time on youtube. you just need to find the right channels

Back