DRum groove or melody

Tnelson2

whats more important the drum groove of a track or the melody. i personally think the melody cause the mood has to be established for it to be a great track

Hip Hop is all rhythm pretty ass melodies over wack grooves and weak drums mean nothing but you can have a dope rhythm and a wack melody and people will rock with it. Most urban and dance music is that way actually.

I like half time but i dont know anyone else who would take it over one love. I think One Love is absurdly wack beat wise. Lyrically Nas killed it though

Yo Xabiton, I always skip Halftime. One love doesnt have an intricate melody but Q-Tip threw down on the drums. Melodies definitely arent the dominate factor in hiphop( especially sampled hiphop) Ohh and I used to skip One Time but then I heard the original and how Large Pro freaked it so I listened to it and found that Nas killed it lyrically. Yall just keep making tracks man. Tighten up the rhythm and dont focus on the melody. A lot of tracks used to be filtered basslines and drums for the verse and the "melody" only came in for the chorus, so chorus takes background. If you want to listen to great drums over simple melodies, listen to Mobb Deep. Havoc is notorious for the melody taking the backseat.

Last edited:
Yeah melodies were never a big thing in east coast hip hop (i hate the term sampled hip hop because everyone samples and does it differently) until the late 90s really. I mean sure Puffy used melodic stuff but he has always been about crossing into the Pop charts. He knew thats where the money was early. Westcoast hip hop is very melodic but the drums still have a solid beat. Southern hip hop has always been very rhythmic and some what melodic depending on who you listen to though.

Yeah melodies were never a big thing in east coast hip hop (i hate the term sampled hip hop because everyone samples and does it differently) until the late 90s really. I mean sure Puffy used melodic stuff but he has always been about crossing into the Pop charts. He knew thats where the money was early. Westcoast hip hop is very melodic but the drums still have a solid beat. Southern hip hop has always been very rhythmic and some what melodic depending on who you listen to though.
Yeah, my bad. When I say "sampled" hip-hop, Im referring to east coast Premo, Pete Rock, Havoc, etc... I know Dr. Dre sampled in his early days but then it changed to replays and interpolations. Southern rap (used purposely) has sampled (Rich Boy-Throw Some D's), but its definitely nothing to right home about. **** Puff. Yeah I said it! He is never considered a producer to me. I think he just tells people what to do. When he was sampling that shit was straight jacking, no changing the beat. In addition to jacking the beat, he gets so much crap because... wait for it.... he was jacking the whole original song's concept too!! Most of the time, he was leaving the chorus. Garbage!!

Back