Down And Out

well...

u have most of the drums put in their right places....

but kanye used sampled, filtered drums for that one dude....that sounds cheesy FL drums over the sample (which i know it is......)

lotta work needed here. but you've got the basic chopping/arranging idea down, at least.....some of the samples are chopped wrong.

A for effort tho.

Last edited:
Oh and i forgot to mention this is originally a Kanye West beat Using a sample Of Mavis Staples And William Bell-Strung Out

Down and out is one of the best, if not the best soul sampled song I heard, and what makes it great is that it has alot of replay value to it. I know the word replay is commonly associated with video games, but I'm using in the context that it doesn't get tired quick. I still pop in purple haze from time to time just to listen to that song. What I would suggest is stop wasting your time trying to bite on Kanye and make your own original beat. In other words get off his nuts.

Julius said:
Down and out is one of the best, if not the best soul sampled song I heard, and what makes it great is that it has alot of replay value to it. I know the word replay is commonly associated with video games, but I'm using in the context that it doesn't get tired quick. I still pop in purple haze from time to time just to listen to that song. What I would suggest is stop wasting your time trying to bite on Kanye and make your own original beat. In other words get off his nuts.

imitate, assimilate, innovate. that's the steps of ANYBODY who wants to be great. gotta learn from someone. but you have to do all 3 steps cause if u fail to innovate you'll look like an ass.

I'm not trying to be negative, but instead of biting on Kanye, why don't you go buy some vinyl of jungle beats/soul and strike gold on the next "down and out," or "through the wire."Just a thought.

Nice concept in all, but I just thought you were past the assimilate stage. My bad

Last edited by a moderator:
but look at it like this.

if you can successfully recreate a beat to the best of your ability, you used your ear to detect filters sweeps, drum details, sample chops, pitch shifting and all..and you would use more resources to get that sound. whereas if you make a regular sampled track and u just starting out...it'll sound like shyt

^^agreed, that is a good point planethitz. Re-creating other people's beats out of the samples really helped me out a lot, and I didn't at all end up having a 'style' like any one person. If anything, it made me more aware of the subtle differences between different producers and, like you said, how far they go to get the sound right.

Dude i'm not tryna bite kanye i just figured it would fun to try to recrate his beat im not on his nuts I make original beats this is me messin round wit a sample tryna teach my self sumthin and seein if a Fruity Loops can do a track originally made with a MPC and ASR-10. So Orange Julius u can swallow kids

Ayo I really like this remake. And I'm a harsh critic. Matter fact I think most FP'ers suck. (real talk, but they learnin so its cool)

DeathIsCertain said:
Ayo I really like this remake. And I'm a harsh critic. Matter fact I think most FP'ers suck. (real talk, but they learnin so its cool)

Then you need to hear some of my stuff.

Back