Does multiple loops have to be in same key

Loc Le

I know I might sound noob using loops and samples but, when I compose tracks does multiple loops have to be in the same key to sound good? Can I use loops with different key, and one major and minor to add variety and different feeling? Or is using samples from same key a essential, or it doesn't matter as the key of song is determined at the end when everything is put together, music theory wise

You certainly can use loops in different keys. It's actually ideal to in my opinion to create different feeling and tension.

A (somewhat) simple way to traverse into other keys is to learn the relative Major/minor keys. It's really quite simple and easy to figure out, they are a 3rd (up for minor-Major, down for Major-minor) apart from one another.

Beyond that, there is of course the minor harmonic and melodic scale, which is the same for any key so it's really not that intimidating once you understand the patterns. That can be useful in crossing over into other keys as well.

*none of these suggestions are requirements. By all means, you should experiment and do what sounds good to you, but the rules for music are so logical that they make the whole process a whole lot easier. Not much in life is as consistent and reliable.

Last edited:
I don't believe that strictly theoritical you can
But practically yes u can do it.. However u need a good ear so that the entire track will be not ruined by some "wrong notes"
With some expreriance I think you can do it!

If you play with key sharing multiple notes together it can create a homogeneous ambient when you want it and tensions when you need it, so yeah it think its a good idea to use different keys ;-)

Back