Does it matter if I get a cheap turntable

Jonoes

Looking to get started in sampling, have a play around and see if I enjoy it.

I like the idea of getting old records and sampling them.

Will a cheap USB turntable do for this if I'm just starting out?

If so, can you recommend any?

Some elitists might say otherwise but no. It doesn't really matter what turntable you have if its just for sampling. The key to getting good quality rips is all in your cartridge. Get yourself a good needle and you are all set. I have been using the Numark TTUSB for 2 years and it gets the job done. I got it for like $100 on amazon.

As long as you don't go extra cheap.

Avoid ION USB joints I had one of them and it was ass, luckily I paid next to nothing for it.

i have a numark ttusb and its good. when i was moving i bought this cheap $30 turntable off of buy.com because i didnt have alot of space. The turntable ended up giving me the buzzing everytime i played it , So i would go With the numark ttusb

At the moment I've narrowed it down to either the Numark TTUSB or the Numark PT-01USB

Only problem is I can't seem to figure out the difference between them! Can anyone help?

The PT01 is portable. Has built in speakers, smaller, can run off batteries. The PT01 is good, I had the non USB version.

So the PT-01USB is better then the TTUSB?

Edit, just noticed that the PT-01 USB is belt drive, I'm not sure what the TT USB is . . . ? Again, is this better?

Last edited:
So the PT-01USB is better then the TTUSB?

Edit, just noticed that the PT-01 USB is belt drive, I'm not sure what the TT USB is . . . ? Again, is this better?

Depends on what you're using it for. If you want to sample at home get the TTUSB, if you want something portable so you can listen to records at shops than get the PT-01USB. The TTUSB is also a belt drive, which means no scratching. If you want something you can scratch on too you will need a direct drive.

Last edited:
For the most part no anything will work. I always advise a direct drive because in my experience they last longer but over all no a cheap one will work as long as you can switch out the needle.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Some elitists might say otherwise but no. It doesn't really matter what turntable you have if its just for sampling. The key to getting good quality rips is all in your cartridge. Get yourself a good needle and you are all set. I have been using the Numark TTUSB for 2 years and it gets the job done. I got it for like $100 on amazon.
But Im an elitist and proud of the fact. Im not sure why one would say otherwise though

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Depends on what you're using it for. If you want to sample at home get the TTUSB, if you want something portable so you can listen to records at shops than get the PT-01USB. The TTUSB is also a belt drive, which means no scratching. If you want something you can scratch on too you will need a direct drive.
Just to add on this not all direct drives work for scratching either. the thing with buying a table for scratching is great torque otherwise scratching will be a pita and most low end tables won't offer that torque. In 2011 tables are sold based on dj needs so you may be able to get an ok one for sampling for pretty cheap. Where I live I see them as cheap as $20. On ebay I've seen them for as cheap as $10

I have the TTUSB aswell, haven't been using it for too long though, but it works flawlessy this far!
Plug connect, install and then just record, really simple! =)

Last edited:
Just to add on this not all direct drives work for scratching either. the thing with buying a table for scratching is great torque otherwise scratching will be a pita and most low end tables won't offer that torque. In 2011 tables are sold based on dj needs so you may be able to get an ok one for sampling for pretty cheap. Where I live I see them as cheap as $20. On ebay I've seen them for as cheap as $10

One of my first turntables was a second hand direct drive Technics SL-D2 and if you stopped the plater on that you could sit down and read a magazine while you waited for it start up again, but even though it is like 30 years old it still works just fine.

there are lots of quality turntables for cheap. I have seen an American Audio turntable for less than 200$ new!. search for a turntable with interchabgeable capsules

Back