Do you think any sample can be flipped and made in to a hit?

dmajor100

Be trying to reflip alot of my samples that i used when i first started sampling and was just curious if i could make them better than they were since my ear is more developed now. I had alot of fustration on trying to make better chops or do different arrangments but things still kinda came out the same. So im just wondering if its more of the sample that makes the beat bang or is it more of you doing not obvious chops and taking things and using them that another producer wouldnt not even think of doing.

I wouldn't say every sample can be flipped into a hit, sonically not every sample is there. However, with a little creativity a lot of samples can be flipped in unexpected ways with great results

dmajor100 So im just wondering if its more of the sample that makes the beat bang or is it more of you doing not obvious chops and taking things and using them that another producer wouldnt not even think of doing.[/QUOTE said:
I think it would be both. I had a friend who made a pretty decent beat off of an insanely nice sample, and then I was listening to some Lone Catalysts and heard a beat with that same sample. Needless to say, J-Rawls beat absolutely murdered my buddy's ha.

Last edited:
Any audio clip can be inserted into a song(sampling by definition)and turned into a hit. Example wuld be how they used clips from the moive "Blades of Glory" in Jay and Kanye's "N***as in Paris". That's not to say any audio clip will sound right looped into the majority of a composition of a song. Completely different things.

Yes, any song can be re-made into a hit. I'm surprised nobody's made a hit out of "Never Gonna Give You Up" yet.

Any beat good or bad can be made in to a hit just like any artist can make a hit good or bad it depends on the rhythm n that catchy hook that one hit wonders achieve lol

Well of course Not any song can be fliped to sound like a hit but I want someone please name 3 big hit rap songs from 88 till around 95 that didn't have a sample you can't !!!! People have been brain washed by these synth and pad based stuff when all of the classic rap songs are sampled "today was a good day" by cube was a straight loop I can go on and on

Part of the Development is developing an ear for good samples. So it's not odd to find you flipped samples that weren't all that in the early stages. It's all part of the learning process.

a good sample is half the job.
a bad sample needs extra instrumentation played yourself if you want to make it a hit.

Back