Do you sample base lines/base notes?

SORRI DENTE

I did it for the first time in a beat. Although its harder and it takes more time than loading a bass from a vst,
it gave me a real feel of the bass, its like the whole track became better... I dont know maybe its just me..

I always filter the bass from the sample, unless there are no real low notes throughout the track. Real bass always sound better.

I like bass samples. I'll just find a long note, sample it, tune it, and then play it out on the keyboard. It adds a different texture.

What exactly do you mean by filtering the bass? Do you separate and filter the bass and low end into one track and the rest into another? I just started separating my samples into three separate tracks (Bass, Mid High) and I have to say this is SUCH a nice effect and allows for so much control with the sample.

I'm still trying to get to that level of playing or recreating the bassline from ear, but recently I've been filtering the bass from the sample.

It depends, if i have a sample with a real ill bassline than i might use low end theory, but majority of the time I filter out the low end and use my own bassline

I filter out the low end of the samples. I use a Bass Guitar Vst(Trilian) and create my own basslines. I use a software called key finder to figure out what key the sample is in, and once I found out what key the sample is in. I create a bassline from there.

What exactly do you mean by filtering the bass? Do you separate and filter the bass and low end into one track and the rest into another? I just started separating my samples into three separate tracks (Bass, Mid High) and I have to say this is SUCH a nice effect and allows for so much control with the sample.

You can either filter out and isolate the bass or just turn up the bass with EQ, whatever works. If you isolate it you can build a separate bassline but retain the feel of the original instrumentation. To find out if you can get away with it I just bring up the mid, then adjust the low cut frequency until there's no more bass, then kill the mid and bring up the lows. You'll just know if you can use it on its own then.

My typical setup for a sample is actually one track in Ableton, but I have 3 chains on it. Each one has an EQ3 on it, one with just lows, one mids and one highs. Then I map the low/high frequency from all 3 to 2 knobs so they're consistent. After that, there's a glue compressor on all 3 and I use the 6 knobs on the main rack to control those. So far it's the best way I've found to change the sound of one sample while keeping everything together.

For me, it depends of the sample. Sometimes no matter what you do to the filter EQ and multiband, the bass sample is so poor that it'll be too murky to use. Some other samples I've gotten great results though. When the sonic quality is good, sampled bass does tend to sound better for me.

Back