Do you know the name of these percussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIANIX

Lately I am quite obsessed with Nacho Chapado's work, especially the drum he uses. But I just don't know what genre of music is this belongs to and what is the percussion he uses, (refer to the sound cloud
nacho-chapado-in-session-12-2017, from 0:03 onward).

Anyone know it?

You're going to need to put up four more (appropriate; _not_ slapdash, just-to-get-it-done) posts, so that you can post a link. Then folks will be glad to take a listen.

GJ

Last edited:
Nice job! (I checked your posts ;) )...

Could you post a time marker and describe what we're looking for? I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

GJ

Thanks, still learning how to use the forum.
I tried to find the drum / percussion (sorry for the term, I do not have much knowledge on percussion)that he uses from splice and other sources, for instance, the percussion he uses from 0:09 to 0:10, 8:07 to 8:37 etc etc. but I couldn't really find the similar sound. I search the percussion used in Samba, Brazilian percussion, Carnival House, Moombah and no luck.
All the percussions just sound so impactful and intense in Nacho's works.

That, IMHO, is not necessarily a particular ethnic instrument. It could be a sample of a marching snare section, it could be from an escola da samba, or lots of other drum/percussion sounds. It could be a sample like the snare used in Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer" (recorded as an overdub near an open elevator shaft), or a big 80's gated reverb tom tom. It is more in the approach and the processing. If I was going to approximate the sound, I would layer several snares with maybe a taiko drum or higher-pitched bass drum or a low tom, something "wood-y" like a cajon slap, maybe a metallic sound like a garbage can lid, multi-track/layer all of that so it sounds big like a section, rather than a single instrument, then crush the heck out of it with compression, use some gated reverb, and add normal 'verb to taste. Or, I'd just use a very similar sound in my venerable Alesis HR-16B. Which may be a good place for you to look for a ready-made sample, if you can find an HR-16B pack out there somewhere. I know there is a huge 80's gated tom and a garbage can lid in there that would be my starting point.

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back