Do you guys use samples that already have drums ??

apexxhiphop

Just wondering if you guys ever not use a sample because it already has drums and everything on it so basically all you gotta do is chop it how you want and probably beef up the drums a bit by layering it...cause sometimes i dont use some samples for this reason because it kinda makes me feel like im not doing much. And with so much people calling sampling "lazy" or "not much skill" I kinda feel like I may actually be proving their point in SOME of these cases..

if the drums are too prominent or not something i can use/too loud in the mix i won't use the sample. an example is "ice cream castles" by the time, ya i could flip it but that bass pounds too much for me.

Depends how the sample sounds. Sometimes the drums in the sample help with the overall feel of the track already. Just add "YOU" like spices using your own drums over the top of them or right along side of them, once again however the sample tells you to flip her, rub her down, ohhh nooo!

I dont really pay too much attention to the drums, i usually try to filter them out as much as possible by getting rid of the low end. The only time drums really affect me is if theyre too prominent and filtering them out causes the sample to kind of lose its soul.

I'm not good at filtering out drum sounds so I mostly use samples with dope drums in them or none at at.

Anybody have tips on filtering drums? I can't imagine it is possible to completely remove them...so is the idea to push them back enough so that they're covered up by whatever drums you layer on top?

If the drums sounds good, why not. But I usually prefer samples with no drums, easier to chop and what not. It sucks when you run into some problems later on because the sample has something there you don't want, lol.

Filtering out drums can be impossible sometimes, I'd rather use my own. Gives me more freedom I guess

Last edited:
I just reduce the drums in the sample by playing with the EQ and then add my own.

no, i like a lot of those 80's records with heavy drums in it. I just add my own drums on top of it even though they aren't very noticable in the mix. But i still do it to give it some extra punch.
I think Puff Daddy did it to with the I'll Be Missing You beat.
That sample already had hard drums but he just added his own on top not very noticable but the beat was still just as hot.
Just make sure you put Loud Drums on it. Gives it a little more punch always.

Back