Do you get rid of records?

D

DopeFiend

I have a pretty big record collection and I'm having trouble with separating the bad ones from the good. I keep thinking I may go back to them one day and hear something new.

I don't have much space left. Maybe I'll donate all my 50s and old classical records? I don't know what do, what do you guys do?

Last edited by a moderator:
my advice: never get rid of anything. there will be plenty of days in the future when you dont have any money to go digging, and youll have to start going back through things. also, as your skills improve, youll hear things you never used before. keep em.

I also keep all of my records. I don't really even sample, I just like having a big record collection.

vursatyl0601 said:
my advice: never get rid of anything. there will be plenty of days in the future when you dont have any money to go digging, and youll have to start going back through things. also, as your skills improve, youll hear things you never used before. keep em.

co-sign.

havent u got some friends who also sample? i have a group of guys & we essentially share records. like i gave all my parliament/funkadelic/george clinton/bootsy collins records to these guys cus i aint got space for them. but if i ever want them back, they're only a phone call away. plus one of these guys got gems baby, & i mean **** u aint ever heard before that u wish u had!

Wish I had friends who make beats.

Ah I guess I'm kinda sleeping on 50s and Classical. I even stacked some Bach underneath my monitor to make it higher :/

I have a lot of 50s and classical. I would like to have all my collection to be rock, soul, jazz, etc, which I have a decent amount. This guy gave me boxes of 45s that came from an old jukebox. All 50s... Seriously though I'm running out of room haha.

i record all of my records to my hard drive and save them as mp3s then use them later and sell the records back to the store. Works great for me and I still get good quality out of everything which makes me happy.

My collection's not that big yet, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of anything either... Even the stuff I just plain don't like... I don't know; I guess my tastes change every now and then, and I never know what old records I'm gonna wish I had in a few years... Also, I have some decent stuff that I never play anymore 'cuz it's played out to me... But if I liked it at one time, who's to say someone who hasn't heard it a billion times yet wouldn't like it, too? Not to mention the occasional listen...

You should make a mix with all your classical stuff! They can get hyphy every now and then... hehheh :)

id say keep em unless u absolutely dont like listening to the records and there are no open breaks that could be sampled.

Relevent Muzik said:
Keep em and listen to the ones you say you wanna get rid of and see how could you flip it a totally different way.

I can turn the crappiest music into hip-hop gold....

havisham said:
I can turn the crappiest music into hip-hop gold....

idk about hip hop gold, listened to your music and its HELLA WEIRD MAN! (no insult)

whatever though, your in my city so its all good.

Nope, I have records in storage, my home, my studio, other people's houses and studios even. I still won't get rid of them.

I try to organize my records so I can find what I'm looking for and don't have to sift through stacks of crap to find a sample. That seems easier than throwing old ones out, cuz who knows when I might need that piece of crap children's story record. ;-)

Keep most of em'. i have hundreads of records and theirs some crap their I threw out at a yard sale, becuase clearly I had no use for them. If their all scratched and sh*t then throw em' out. If I had of kept every record I bought or recived I can't contemplte how much space that would take up lol.

I would never get rid of my vinyl. I pay monthly storage with AC just for records I havent looked through in a while. Some day I may remember a sound I heard. If you have to get rid of them for some reason, get yourself a good external hard drive & record them to your hard drive in wave format. Every now & then you sit back relax & let it all play. You will hear things you didnt hear when you first bought them.

my loft has thousands of pieces of vinyl up there! i keep going all nostalgic and taking a wander up there...

then i get mucky and fk it off!
lol

Back