Do you chop melodies with drums too ??

BeatsByD

I tryin to learn sampling and im looking for samples. But when i find a sample with a good melody it has drums. Do yall sample the drums too or just look for another songs to sample if there aint a part without drums that is usable??

Ive sampled with drums before. If you get it right where its on time, you can layer your own sounds on top and it sounds really nice. It all depends on your chops and the sample. There is one MAJOR rule in sampling......

1.) There are no rules ;)

Thanks for your answer. I like that rule :D
Actually today i think im better at chopping and piecing them together, its staring to work out a little bit. Nothing like preemo, but im on my way :D

Last edited:
You can chop at the kicks and snares, then raise the attack % on each chop, this will give your drums some extra room as well. Or you can chop right after the drum sound...or layer your drums...or use those drums as accent sounds...or add a HPF that will minimize the drum sounds.

Ive sampled with drums before. If you get it right where its on time, you can layer your own sounds on top and it sounds really nice. It all depends on your chops and the sample. There is one MAJOR rule in sampling......

1.) There are no rules ;)
there used to be a long list of them that this generation of producers tend to ignore lol

there used to be a long list of them that this generation of producers tend to ignore lol
yeah there always is a lot of debate about it. I mean some stuff goes without saying. Like dont sample the melody to the #1 song and make a beat out of it. And all the controversy of sampling new shit. Idk of any actual rules im a young guy myself but i just meant for the OP not to confine himself you know?

You can chop at the kicks and snares, then raise the attack % on each chop, this will give your drums some extra room as well. Or you can chop right after the drum sound...or layer your drums...or use those drums as accent sounds...or add a HPF that will minimize the drum sounds.

yo i just started experimenting with this and i must say its the shit....that is all

Back