Do you always chop samples up?

StanleySteamer

As the title says. But to be more specific, lets say you are sampling and you find a 4 bar loop you want. Now I know with drums you would chop it so it plays on time. But what about without drums? Do you guys just always chop up samples into 16th or whatever?

If it goes by a rhytm I always chop, drums or no drums. Even if I'm just looping. Because alot of samples are played live, so they are not quant. perfectly, and then by chopping it, it alows you to get the loop straight on point, you know what I mean?

That make sense, the more parts of a sample you chop the more control you get while loops usually have dictation over the rest of the beat unless it's synthesized or granulized.

thanks for the advice guys. No I'm just asking because lately I have been noticing my samples aren't quite as perfect on my drums are most of the music I listen to is when I am just looping. I just have another question about chopping. I am using maschine and pro tools. I normally just take a loop and export it from maschine into pro tools already pitched up and drag my drums and do the same and lay my tracks out and make the beat on pro tools. However chopping up samples on pro tools is annoying and I can do it very quick fast and simple with the maschine but I can't export the individual chops into pro tools from maschine because when I edit my chops it makes the notes on the piano roll for the loop all off time. Idk if anyone else has had this issue but its like it the notes go from being full 16th notes to being a little shorter because I'm not using the auto chop function and I'm manually doing it. Basically how can I get it so I can chop up samples or a loop on the maschine into 16th the way I want it to be chopped and successfully get it onto pro tools? Any advice guys?

i do both, depending on what the sample calls for.

a lot of people (none in this thread) think chopping is inherently better than looping for some reason. it really depends on the sample. sometimes a sample is perfect looped and you're just killing it by chopping it into a million pieces. if the argument is that it's more creative, so ****ing what. the end result is number one.

i do both, depending on what the sample calls for.

a lot of people (none in this thread) think chopping is inherently better than looping for some reason. it really depends on the sample. sometimes a sample is perfect looped and you're just killing it by chopping it into a million pieces. if the argument is that it's more creative, so ****ing what. the end result is number one.
I don't sample, but IMO there is nothing creative about looping, unless you build an amazing composition around the loop, that's impressive. Most sample producers just cut the loop then add drums.

NO HATE! DON'T COME AT ME SAMPLE LOOPING BEAT MAKERS, JUST MY OPINION.

I chop when needed. Or if I want to use multiple part from the songs but they are not at the same times.

I chop loops sometimes so I can still play with it to make an intro/chorus / outro with the same loop but different.

You can export individual chops in maschine into protocols but unless it's drums I don't see why you would want to do that

Exactly the response I am looking for. I need to know how to do this because the sample I am working with has drums. I have manually chopped and sliced my loops so it is more on time but the problem is my chops became unquantized on the piano roll and when I re-quantize them to correct length of notes on the piano roll it skips and plays short in between chops. If you could help me fix this problem and then get it so I can export my chops into pro tools it would be greatly appreciated like you have no idea lol!

I usually chop out sounds n stuff i like and rearennge em but if i find a loop that i like the way it is i dont see the point in choppin it up. I know alot of people chop loops up and then they just play the exact same loop again with the chops, i never understood the point of this

I usually chop out sounds n stuff i like and rearennge em but if i find a loop that i like the way it is i dont see the point in choppin it up. I know alot of people chop loops up and then they just play the exact same loop again with the chops, i never understood the point of this
it's to have more control over the sample. like if there are notes on the 16ths you can change the groove. you can also sidechain the samples to your drum hits and play them in live, stuff like that, give the sample its own swing

it's to have more control over the sample. like if there are notes on the 16ths you can change the groove. you can also sidechain the samples to your drum hits and play them in live, stuff like that, give the sample its own swing
feel like a real noob, but i didnt understand anything about that notes on the 16ths thing

feel like a real noob, but i didnt understand anything about that notes on the 16ths thing

i'll try to explain this to ya in simplistic boom bap terms
the kick and snare, 'boom bap boom bap' are all 1/4ths notes. boom bap boom bap makes 1 bar, hence 4/4
then, boom hat snare hat boom hat snare hat would make the hats the 1/8ths
then, like with fast hihats on modern music you got something like boom hat hat hat snare hat hat hat, making the hat in between the 16ths.. the 16ths will determine the groove/swing on a beat. if you chop some samples right you will have more control over that, manipulating it into your own rhythm/groove if that makes a little more sense to you.

i'll try to explain this to ya in simplistic boom bap terms
the kick and snare, 'boom bap boom bap' are all 1/4ths notes. boom bap boom bap makes 1 bar, hence 4/4
then, boom hat snare hat boom hat snare hat would make the hats the 1/8ths
then, like with fast hihats on modern music you got something like boom hat hat hat snare hat hat hat, making the hat in between the 16ths.. the 16ths will determine the groove/swing on a beat. if you chop some samples right you will have more control over that, manipulating it into your own rhythm/groove if that makes a little more sense to you.
ait i think i might understand, thx for explaining.

Not really... i'm a very random chopper. I use samples mostly to spice up my mostly electronic tracks so any randomness, stuttering, noise and artifacts they introduce are actually welcome.

I also render out a lot of loops from drums and synths I create, which I chop up in random, extreme ways or even use as starting points for new tracks. I do that, instead of saving patches and presets, because it forces me to actually work my synths and stuff. Some of my best drums started off as incredibly shitty samples...a bit of noise, a click, they might even be some 64kb/s mp3 sample originally. But they've been effected and resampled so many times they take on a life of their own.

So in short: yes, I chop... but i'm not bothered with timing it right.

I started off by taking a loop and chopping but recently I've just been taking the bits I want and choking the shite out of them... It definitely depends on the record I'm trying to flip though!

I also find that when in 'slice' mode on Maschine I have to do a lot of manual 'slicing'... You can't trust Maschine to do the work for you.

Back