Do Todays New Jack Producers lack SOUL? (and what exactly IS S.O.U.L.?)

Do Todays New Jack Producers lack SOUL? (and what exactly IS S.O.U.L.?)

I read alot of these posts by the new guys, and believe me, I dont doubt that they have mad skills, know what sounds are hot, and why, but in the end, I feel that they have a certain displeasing "je nais se quoi."

You know what I mean, that secret missing ingredient: SOUL.

When theyre in the studio, the cell phone sits by the drum machine/controller...and then it rings<<<I would never answer, let alone have it in the same room as me when Im seriously about to THROW DOWN some Funky beats...

They get on forums like this and ask "what kind of music should I sample?" The answer to which we all know is: THE KIND OF MUSIC YOU LIKE...its like they are afraid to admit that they dont know about any other genres other than RAP and HIP HOP, and are scared that people will think them "lame" for digging 16th century french chamber music...<<<now thats really LAME, wouldnt you agree...

Now back to SOUL, and what it is. SOUL is a feeling of adoration, elevation, ecstasy for things of this earth, in other words, SOUL is secular church music...

Thats RIGHT, soul is church music for people that worship the body and all its delights and paradoxes: Lust/Love Pleasure/Pain, right/wrong, honesty/cheating...

So do these New Jack producers have that PASSION to re-interpret the CLASSIC music of america (JAZZ FUNK R/B, SOUL) through the kaleidoscope of TODAYS ETHOS and come up with a new form of SOUL music? Cause If they dont, music will need some major, major help...

PEACE...

I Feel like soul is something you feel. so i feel like its more of a lack of creativity than anything. But i do feel like people arent "Feeling" the samples as they use to anymore.

I Feel like soul is something you feel. so i feel like its more of a lack of creativity than anything. But i do feel like people arent "Feeling" the samples as they use to anymore.

Perfect describtion of soul.
A lot of producers can't make something that you feel and that's actually a lack of creativity.
Sometimes i hear the smoothest beats and i still don't feel them cause they don't have real soul.
A smooth beat doesn't mean it's something that has soul.
I think a lot of modern R&B lack soul. You can't feel it.
When i think of Smooth i think of singers faking themselves just to try to get girls.
When i think of Soulful i think of something that comes truely from the heart.

Soul is nothing more than a bass guitar. I figured that out a while back when listening to "old school" music. There was nothing special about those songs. They just have catchy melodies with nice bass lines. All you need to make a soul record is a nice keyboard or guitar melody, a good drum rhythm, and a deep bass line.

Fortunately, no one cares about soul today. Yesterday's guitar bass has been replaced by an 808 bass drum. Just make good music and stop worrying about nonsense arguments.

Soul is nothing more than a bass guitar. I figured that out a while back when listening to "old school" music. There was nothing special about those songs. They just have catchy melodies with nice bass lines. All you need to make a soul record is a nice keyboard or guitar melody, a good drum rhythm, and a deep bass line.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats the most asinine thing that Ive read so far on this thread...

Thats like saying the SECRET of SHAKESPHERE, and the greatness of his plays and sonnets was due to the fact that he used a QUILL PEN from a GOOSE FEATHER, instead of a word processor and a computer...

Its like you dont want to admit that music is CREATED by HUMANs, and that we cannot get a sense of the mood and the theme the music by LISTENING, and that the recording and composing of music that has SOUL is just a matter of following a scripted formula...

The Fender Jazz bass is still sold today. So is the Fender Stratocaster, as well as most of the instruments that were made to play all of those HIT MOTOWN records...

SO TELL ME why is it that no version of the MOTOWN sound exists today?

According to your flawed logic, there should be at least 2 or 3 similar successful record labels like that in each city, since its so easy to figure out that "There was nothing special about those songs"

FAIL...

Last edited:
from a brotha who's been listening to soul since he was a child to a producer who now samples soul i will say this.

Soul is something that you feel, people wonder why people make the screwface when they hear a real good soul beat? It's because they feel that sh*t, it draws a pure emotion out of you to make you want to listen further or write what's felt on your mind

I do agree with a lot of new producers lacking soul trying to make soul beats, like do you know even recognize that what your "sampling" is more than just a "sample"? this is timeless music your playing with son. I can't fault all the new cats dabbling with production though trying to sample, they probably went "well i want to begin sampling so what do i sample?" and as cliche as it sounds they said soul, even though they don't even listen to soul genuinely.

Thats the most asinine thing that Ive read so far on this thread...

Thats like saying the SECRET of SHAKESPHERE, and the greatness of his plays and sonnets was due to the fact that he used a QUILL PEN from a GOOSE FEATHER, instead of a word processor and a computer...

Its like you dont want to admit that music is CREATED by HUMANs, and that we cannot get a sense of the mood and the theme the music by LISTENING, and that the recording and composing of music that has SOUL is just a matter of following a scripted formula...

The Fender Jazz bass is still sold today. So is the Fender Stratocaster, as well as most of the instruments that were made to play all of those HIT MOTOWN records...

SO TELL ME why is it that no version of the MOTOWN sound exists today?

According to your flawed logic, there should be at least 2 or 3 similar successful record labels like that in each city, since its so easy to figure out that "There was nothing special about those songs"

FAIL...

Many musicians still play and create that Motown sound. It is not played on urban radio, but there are many stations that still broadcast soul music from the 60's all the way to today's soul acts. Many of the acts from the past are still touring and still have a ton of fans.

But....soul music is just a bass guitar. The main component of soul music is a bass guitar, just like the main component of rock music is an electric guitar. Let a dude replace a bass guitar with a ukelele and see how much "soul" his song has.

:berzerk:

Last edited:
Let a dude replace a bass guitar with a ukelele and see how much "soul" his song has.

:berzerk:
Lots if that person playing it has soul. You can play a soulful electric guitar solo or soulful pianos too. Having soul is less about the instrument and more about how you play it. You can play all the same notes and patterns but if you do not have soul you just do not have soul.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

from a brotha who's been listening to soul since he was a child to a producer who now samples soul i will say this.

Soul is something that you feel, people wonder why people make the screwface when they hear a real good soul beat? It's because they feel that sh*t, it draws a pure emotion out of you to make you want to listen further or write what's felt on your mind

I do agree with a lot of new producers lacking soul trying to make soul beats, like do you know even recognize that what your "sampling" is more than just a "sample"? this is timeless music your playing with son. I can't fault all the new cats dabbling with production though trying to sample, they probably went "well i want to begin sampling so what do i sample?" and as cliche as it sounds they said soul, even though they don't even listen to soul genuinely.
exactly

bruh... the new jack producers aren't on future producers. honestly.
dudes don't know shit on here

Last edited:
that's not true. being soulful can be learned as long as you know what soulful sounds and feels like.
if you love soul music but never played a keyboard you're not immediately gonna play something that sounds soulful.
It can be learned but you have to know what it feels like and how it should be played. if you don't feel soul music in the first place you just don't have any soul.

I wouldn't say they lack soul, I guess it takes people a little longer to get out what's in their head.

I don't think its lost, I think that its not asked for. Its the trend of things if you want a record to be commercially successful then your going to need something that sounds like it. In the end its the A&R that decides what to use and the artist to decide how big this record can be. I also agree with the cell phone note. I cant stand it so I hide mine just so I can't see the blinking light & its on silent. I hate when artists come in the studio and spend more time on their phone that actually utilizing the time given. There not even promoting themselves their just responding to friends n shit. smh.

But back to producers and Soul. A lot just has to do with the trend, Im sure if you visited many producers house and listened to their catalog you'd find a gem. Many of the semi-major or major artists have taken that away. Ross Maybach music was a hard record, but it wasn't a soulful one. Music has needed help for many years now. Imagine what it will be like 10yrs from now.

Now non-commercially there has to be some dope funky records out there. Theres always a niche market. With all this digital tech the live muscians are kind of muted out to a degree. The band doesnt get together and just jam, the sampler or producer comes in and chops up the band. Thus the interaction and communication between the drummer &U bassist is terminated. The only time they seem to be used is when there called in to replace something. Live guitars and pianos are replaced by digital sound libraries that sound just as good or better so now its just the interaction between the user and the computer. Soul is fading just like people kept saying hip-hop was. Its out there, its just clouded.

Visit europe and the UK and I guarentee you will feel their music. They have soul, the music we have today is dead and just word play.

I don't think its lost, I think that its not asked for. Its the trend of things if you want a record to be commercially successful then your going to need something that sounds like it. In the end its the A&R that decides what to use and the artist to decide how big this record can be. I also agree with the cell phone note. I cant stand it so I hide mine just so I can't see the blinking light & its on silent. I hate when artists come in the studio and spend more time on their phone that actually utilizing the time given. There not even promoting themselves their just responding to friends n shit. smh.

But back to producers and Soul. A lot just has to do with the trend, Im sure if you visited many producers house and listened to their catalog you'd find a gem. Many of the semi-major or major artists have taken that away. Ross Maybach music was a hard record, but it wasn't a soulful one. Music has needed help for many years now. Imagine what it will be like 10yrs from now.

Now non-commercially there has to be some dope funky records out there. Theres always a niche market. With all this digital tech the live muscians are kind of muted out to a degree. The band doesnt get together and just jam, the sampler or producer comes in and chops up the band. Thus the interaction and communication between the drummer &U bassist is terminated. The only time they seem to be used is when there called in to replace something. Live guitars and pianos are replaced by digital sound libraries that sound just as good or better so now its just the interaction between the user and the computer. Soul is fading just like people kept saying hip-hop was. Its out there, its just clouded.

Visit europe and the UK and I guarentee you will feel their music. They have soul, the music we have today is dead and just word play.

Thanks Man!
You all can SEE that there are a few producers and musicians that KNOW what S O U L is, unlike that dogmatic imbecile that said>>> "its a bass guitar, thats it, a bass, and theres really no secret about it"

PART of soul is the interplay between musicians that are used to jamming together, listening to one another, finding that pocket, locking into the groove, and releasing it at just the right time is the most exciting thing youll ever hear, next to a symphony playing Wagner LIVE!

The opposite of that is clicking buttons on a step sequencer, manipulating digital information on a computer screen...

Youre right, when you note that today its just man VS sound library, and in that context, he can ONLY CREATE things that are similar to what he has been exposed to...

Last edited:

Agreed brutha, nicely said

Back