do people still use those royalty free CD sample products?

prodeucer

I never got into the whole sampling thing but just thought about Big Fish Audio being the well known company for selling those royalty free CD sample products I've seen advertised in music magazines for as long as several years now. I don't get it. Does anyone here even use them? What other companies sell the same niche? How do these even work? Do each sample come in a few seconds then you copy that and add to your own tracks? Say a female vocal, etc. then you add that to your liking in your own tracks?

It is a same digging process as it is when digging for vinyls to sample... you have to go through many average ones to find a gem. I honestly dont mind using sample packs. You can check out Loopmasters, Samplephonics (these are my fav).

If it bothers you that much, learn synthesis :/
Also, there's some decent mics for sound design as well.
Synthesizer geek, but don't underestimate the "chop a soul song up into pieces" technique.

Oh I know how to play and "synthesize" my own. I just don't get the need for using those sample CDs, I'm trying to see if there's a need for it but it looks like there isn't.

sorry is the product called synthesizer geek? What do you mean by mics for sound design when I could plug direct to a multi track?

Isn't chopping up my own tracks also a good technique to experiment with? That comes in editing...

Many people use those sample collection CD's, often professionals working in multimedia like ad agencies, video games, film, television, sound libraries, radio, etc.
The purpose of those collections were to have an easy-to-reach-for source for a particular style of music when you don't have the budget to hire musicians or working on a tight deadline for a submission. These collections were never meant for the amateur bedroom producer.

Samples are there to be used, if you don't want to use them they are of no use to you.
I was callin myself a synthgeek. Microphones can be used to create your own samples.
For instance if you want to make your own synthpatches, you need a synthesizer.
A microphone is basically the same philosophy.

Last question, do what you want to your tracks. I like to experiment on anything and everything, but that's just me personally.

Back